Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Got my first submission back and have a question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do they add the total of the subs and divide that number by 4 to get the final grade?

just curious because on one of mine the subs were

Centering 10

Edges 9

Corners 8

Surface 9.5

If I add those up and divide by 4 I get 9.125 but the overall grade was 8.5 instead of 9.

Am I missing something or is there more to calculating the overall grade ?

It's not an average, but an algorithm. Certain sub grades carry greater weight.
(11-19-2013, 06:11 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: [ -> ]Do they add the total of the subs and divide that number by 4 to get the final grade?

just curious because on one of mine the subs were

Centering 10

Edges 9

Corners 8

Surface 9.5

If I add those up and divide by 4 I get 9.125 but the overall grade was 8.5 instead of 9.

Am I missing something or is there more to calculating the overall grade ?
what y2hood said. but generally, you wont get a grade more than a half point higher than the lowest grade (there are exceptions: weve seen a fuill point higher and even a point and a half, but those are extreme, like when three subgrades are 10's and one subgrade is a 5)

certain sets are weighed differently than others when it comes to subgrades as well

but it most definitely isnt an average

(11-19-2013, 06:36 PM)y2hood Wrote: [ -> ]It's not an average, but an algorithm. Certain sub grades carry greater weight.
+1 And it's not always the same subgrade that carries the great weight (I thought Centering always carried the greater weight.). It depends on the set and year, which subgrade carries the greater weight.
(11-19-2013, 06:49 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: [ -> ]+1 And it's not always the same subgrade that carries the great weight (I thought Centering always carried the greater weight.). It depends on the set and year, which subgrade carries the greater weight.

I've been curious how/why they decide which subgrade carries greater weight. For example, if a given set has a lot of cards that are often off center, does centering weigh more (because it is a significant/obvious characteristic of the set) or less (because it is a typical characteristic)?

And does that go for individual cards also? Say a certain card often has a specific print spot on the surface; Do they weigh surface subgrade less because of that?
(11-19-2013, 07:12 PM)hercules21 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been curious how/why they decide which subgrade carries greater weight. For example, if a given set has a lot of cards that are often off center, does centering weigh more (because it is a significant/obvious characteristic of the set) or less (because it is a typical characteristic)?

And does that go for individual cards also? Say a certain card often has a specific print spot on the surface; Do they weigh surface subgrade less because of that?
I'll let Jeff V. answer these questions, as I wouldn't want to give you the wrong answers. Plus, I'd like to hear the answers myself.
That's a great question Hercules. I'll be keeping an eye out for a response in this thread from Jeff or someone of equivalent expertise.
My guess is your item was a newer chrome type item where determining centering isn't as much a factor and where corners, surface , and edges perhaps can make or break the final grade in the algorithm. Sounds like your algorithm is a 10/30/30/30 type where the centering is hard to tell on the item and the other 3 carry equal weight. Two of your grades (corners/edges) being 60% weighted would drag that final grade to what it is.

As a "general" rule of thumb characteristics that affect "eye appeal" are generally given most weight.

Now on some issues - say Topps base cards from most years, food issues, and any item with apparent side borders - centering & corners may be the two eye appeals to watch for. Ever notice we can visually see diamond canting in a Topps card but cannot somehow visually use the same visual type queues in say 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice ?

With newer stuff centering may not be as readily apparent- so corners surface, or even edges may carry more weight in the "eye appeal" ( think Panini Prizm, Bowman Chrome, Topps Chrome). Edges play a huge factor in many thicker memorabilia items for example.

All depends on the particular items.

Jeff

Thanks for the info

The card in question was a Topps Inception Montee Ball Auto RC
Inception is a very hard grade in general.
Pages: 1 2