Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 11/2/13 Wilmington MA Card Show pick ups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was put onto this card show at a show that I went to last month. It is about an hour away and the door fee is $8(I hate paying door fees but there is a cost to everything.....plus, I would pay far more than $8 for shipping from the bay). Anyway, we went down to get there for opening this morning.

I went down to try and pick up some stuff for my PC project and also to rifle through discount boxes. In total I spent $98 (not including the door fee and lunch, my wife paid for both of these anyway).
This time I don't even question how I did. I think that I absolutely cleaned up for what I was there to do.

The first two scans are NOT FOR TRADE. I picked these up for my PC project.
[Image: PCproject_zpsc95b9c2e.jpg]
[Image: IMG_NEW_zps62239775.jpg]

Everything in the next THREE scans are for Trade. [Image: IMG_NEW_zpsd9255ebe.jpg]
The Defensive Gems put me at 4 of 6. I still need Spreewell and Payton. The Pippen, Jordan and AI helped me to get to the right amount of cards for the next dollar increment.
[Image: IMG_zps2a4b9f27.jpg]
More Cheap cheap pick ups. The D-Will and Conley are refractors. Apparently, the Conley is /199. The Jeff Green is /999 and the Andre Miller is /2000.
[Image: IMG_0001_zpsce53d201.jpg]
More cheap pick ups. THe Bynum is /25. Nothing else is numbered. The Conley is actually a different Conley than the one from the earlier scans. Apparently I do NOT update my list as I go through at card shows.

Everything from this point is all PC and NFT.
[Image: IMG_0002_NEW_zps5c1b3a16.jpg]
I got the Magic's from another basketball guy. I was pretty psyched because the holograms are very clean(an aberration for those cards).

[Image: IMG_zps367943f6.jpg]
I wasn't collecting during Z-Bo's RC year. Finding numbered RCs of his is always a treat since I am late to the party on them. The topps RC isn't in great shape so I might look to replace it (if I don't already have it).
[Image: IMG_0001_zpsc9fc6cb4.jpg]
The Topps Gold is /2009. The Bowman Chrome Ref. is /249. The Topps Chrome Orange Ref is /199. The Topps Signatures is /2325. The name plate is /210 (and in serious contention for my favorite thing that I picked up today).

Just a few Iggy's here:
[Image: IMG_0002_NEW_zpse1dabc6d.jpg]
What can I say? I like numbered RCs
[Image: IMG_NEW_zps73a26813.jpg]
The Bowman Chrome is the Ref. and is /199.
THe Prizm Team USA....My wife found that in a ten cent box. Pretty pumped about adding that.
[Image: IMG_NEW_0001_zpsf2253f2a.jpg]
The Auto is /49. The Bowman Signatures isn't in great condition but it isn't terrible either. It is /1000
The Gold Standard is /25.

All in all I had a great time. I also feel like I did exceptionally well considering the money I took with me and what the actual goal was.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'd say that's a pretty serious haul for under $100!

There is a big show that comes to Greensboro, NC twice a year that I have to miss in a couple weeks because i'll be back home in Ohio. If you aren't collecting something super trendy/high end/popular player you can do extraordinarily well at shows. I tend to do really well on Buckeye football autos down here because they aren't nearly as in demand as they are back home. I'm sure the same can be said when you're looking for Iguodalas and Randolphs and the random RCs for your PC project. Well done!!
(11-02-2013, 06:59 PM)buckunteer Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say that's a pretty serious haul for under $100!

There is a big show that comes to Greensboro, NC twice a year that I have to miss in a couple weeks because i'll be back home in Ohio. If you aren't collecting something super trendy/high end/popular player you can do extraordinarily well at shows. I tend to do really well on Buckeye football autos down here because they aren't nearly as in demand as they are back home. I'm sure the same can be said when you're looking for Iguodalas and Randolphs and the random RCs for your PC project. Well done!!
One thing I realized about collecting Kobe is that people tend to not even enter negotiations on price. I would imagine it is the same with MJ, Lebron or any set that is hot at the time. I am in NH. There aren't too many Iggy fans or Z-bo fans up around here. It makes bargaining that much easier, especially when you have cash and the only other alternative to move these guys ebay.

(11-02-2013, 07:08 PM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I realized about collecting Kobe is that people tend to not even enter negotiations on price. I would imagine it is the same with MJ, Lebron or any set that is hot at the time. I am in NH. There aren't too many Iggy fans or Z-bo fans up around here. It makes bargaining that much easier, especially when you have cash and the only other alternative to move these guys ebay.

I can get a few people to haggle on good-looking-but-not-high-priced MJs. I'd much rather pick up a $20 MJ that looks great than a $50 MJ that I could take or leave. Mitch is, sadly, tough to find. If anybody has one it's usually high-end so they don't want to haggle much, so surprisingly enough with Mitch it tends to be lose-lose.
Congrats on the pickups, that's a nice Zach name plate patch. I would like to be able to go to a big card show.
I would say you cleaned up! Are you collecting Iggy now?
(11-02-2013, 07:40 PM)kevinr Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on the pickups, that's a nice Zach name plate patch. I would like to be able to go to a big card show.
Yeah it was a good time. I would definitely do this show again in a few months.
(11-03-2013, 10:09 AM)Megatron2181 Wrote: [ -> ]I would say you cleaned up! Are you collecting Iggy now?
Yessir. I am staying away from his base stuff but I am going for hits, refractors and anything numbered.
Great stuff bud! Glad you had a worthwhile trip to the show. I was going to head out there today, but is ended up having too many family obligations to go. I believe it is one of the larger shows in the Boston area. What was you overall impression? I wanted to stop by and submit some of my autos to Beckett.
(11-03-2013, 08:42 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: [ -> ]Great stuff bud! Glad you had a worthwhile trip to the show. I was going to head out there today, but is ended up having too many family obligations to go. I believe it is one of the larger shows in the Boston area. What was you overall impression? I wanted to stop by and submit some of my autos to Beckett.
It was a good time. It was $8 to get in. If you ever go, eat before you head there. The food wasn't very good. I like to dig in the bargain bins so I was in a good spot. I was there for 4 hours or so (it opened at 9 and I left a little after 1).

I am not sure when the next one is but I might head to that one too.
You cleaned up IMO, nice work Smile
Pages: 1 2