Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: vintage grading questions...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,
I think I am about to get a few of my better vintage graded and have several questions.

1. PSA vs. SGC. vs. BVG - Does it really matter which company to use for grading?

2. Both PSA and SGC base their prices on value or declared value. Is that value high book price? Expected Book price? Conditional value?
It looks like perhaps BVG only bases it on the number of cards?

3. Has anyone ever had grading done at a show before? Is it only a dropoff, or do they actually grade them on site?

any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Fell free to give me ideas as what they may grade, I am expecting anywhere from 2 to 4.

[Image: 1951_Bowman_Mantle.jpg]

[Image: 1951B_Mantle_back_zps0c7ce93b.jpg]

[Image: 1951_Bowman_Mays.jpg]

[Image: 1951B_Mays_back_zps6fe3fbe8.jpg]

I would go with sgc for vintage. They also have the nicest slabs. Declared value is what value you put on the cards.... Not what they are book worth, but what they are worth to you. This may mean book value or what you feel they are in the condition or even more than what they are worth.... Just know prices are based off of declared value. I've never had grading done at a show but you can drop them and then receive them through the mail later or have them done on site but it is typically very expensive on site... But might be worth it for these two..... Which I feel would get a VG/3 for both, but still nice cards.
Thanks for the advice. I know PSA is the name in grading game, but I do like the way the SGC holders look, especially after looking at your recent thread. I agree VG is likely how mine will grade, which is not unexpected. I'm open to other advice and thoughts if anyone has any.
Thanks,
Scott
I have only graded with SGC, so I can't speak for the other companies, but I really like SGC. I like their holders, and I like the customer service. I can call with any questions and get a live person who will talk to me and if I need someone to call me back they will. The same day. I think they grade a little tougher than the other companies, I have sent in a couple cards to get crossed over and they were both graded slightly lower.
Best of luck with them. Not sure how PSA or SGC will grade, but I have a BVG Mantle that is a 2 and I think, fairly comparable to yours. I've heard BVG is not as strict, either. Mine doesn't have the creases or back stain that yours does, but my color is not as nice and more wear on my corners.

I could see a 3 for both, but a 2 on the Mantle wouldn't surprise me, either.
Randall, I would disagree that SGC grades tougher. Maybe as tough as BVG, but both grade tougher than PSA. I have nothing against SGC and they would be my second choice after Beckett.
PSA- if your reselling.
PSA offers qualifies, especially your Bowman Mays- its way O/C and if you have PSA list as OC, it normally cost you 2 full grades in value. for ex: (a psa7 OC would equivalate to a psa5)
SGC is nice for vintage and postwar. I like SGC and their service i had with them. (as i am a board member there too)and offer monthly specials too.
BVG- are nice too, and the hardest slab to crack, if your reslabbing/crossover

I have had several cards crossed over to SGC, and according to them BVG usually crosses lower. PSA they say often goes lower but not always. PSA right now is still the most well know and probably has a higher resale, but I think that may be starting to change as SGC gets more well know, especially in vintage and older cards.
Psa all the way.
Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. PSA, SGC, and Beckett are all at the show, but only SGC is slabbing and grading onsite. I'll post scan tonight or tommorow.
Pages: 1 2