Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Tim Cheveldae
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm bored and my PC card collecting has pretty much come to a crawl. I can't even buy cards anymore to complete my collections. So i'm toying with starting a new PC. I was never a big fan of doing player PC's because i find it impossible to collect every single card and that's a huge pet peeve of mine. not finishing things up. (and yet i chose sets with cards /50 , and upper deck champs....ha)

My brandon Nolan PC is pretty much down to all cards /15 and less, with 20 cards being /1 so i doubt that'll ever finish.
My Manon rheaume collection is going no where fast even though she's got less than 200 cards because i don't feel like spending money tracking down such cards like phone cards and end up paying 100's of dollars for low print run cards. plus, if i keep her out of my mind, it's easier to keep the fantasies at bay.

So i start thinking of players who have made an impact on my life. I don't really feel like doing a superstar like Mario Lemieux because i think i'll just funnel insane money into a collection that'll never be complete. (nothing against people who do, its just not for me)

So than i start thinking of the 'b' list players. my 2 favorite players that come to mind are Dino Ciccarelli who i watched as a kid, growing up in the Detroit market. Plus, He used to live only 3 miles from my house. Granted i've never met the guy but i liked his style of playing. but he's got over 1000 cards so that's out. I used to play NHL 94 / NHL 2k5 a lot and Robert Esche had a gliche where he was pretty much insanely awesome. So i'd always pick him as my goalie. But he's got around 500 cards and a lot are specialty cards and /1 cards. which annoys me. Even though it would be insane to get all of them, i think i've got enough lifetime card collections going on. I'm looking to do something i could theoretically actually finish.

Which brings me to Tim Cheveldae. Why? I have no idea. I watched him growing up as a kid and i remember liking him. For no reason at all. My best friend had a puck signed by him that i used to want, and when we moved away he gave it to me. One of the few sports items i have actually not been able to let go of and sell for more hockey cards. When i start looking into it, he's only got like 175 cards...so its doable....90% of them are less than $10 dollars....so its even more doable....and there's very few (if any) /1's. So i get excited. Maybe i have another project to work on only to have it stall out and start looking for a new pc and go through all of this again.....

But than i start to think.... The whole reason i collect cards (or the reason i tell myself so i can sleep better at night knowing i spend so much money on something even though i enjoy it oh so very much) is to create some sort of value to pass on to my kids and hopefully they'll be able to continue my quests either with me or when i'm gone...or sell it off and make some coin on it.

Tim has almost no cards of value....90% of them are less than $10 dollars...so really i'll just be collecting them to take up space. I doubt they'll ever hold any value...because tim who....? plus...have you seen this guy?
[Image: avatar_60eb49dcaeed_128_zps0096c9ea.png]
He looks like such a creeper. No offense to you men out there with a thick mustache that can't grow all the way across and a receding hairline...

Than there's this awful card of his that every time i think of him it pops into my head...which happens to be in my top 10 of hated cards of all time....
[Image: Untitled-2copy_zpscdd01c1d.jpg]
I don't know why i hate it so much. Maybe its because he's got so much junk in his trunk and he looks pregnant....who knows....i almost hate it as much as this card...
[Image: mCv7lQe1uzJzp3gFgv_7-kw_zpsa7a7f5bd.jpg]
but i digress....

It's not like he's got a really cool helmet or anything....
[Image: avatar_100x100_zps64cee5c1.png]

and in this video...that starts out super cool because it shows hes a fighter and he doesn't take crap from no one.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNNkaUVERKo
he ends up getting his butt kicked by a future red wing himself....

And to sit here and try to discourage me even more from trying to turn him into a PC..... I read this article....
http://blog.mlive.com/its-just-sports/20..._no_3.html
Even showing me more of how insignificant he really was. Nobody special. And if all of that wasn't enough to try and not get me to collect him... I come across this
[Image: BjQV2qw2kKGrHqYH-DIEtHBYhYBLS0mWKpzQ_35_zpsa3f39ca6.jpg]

I mean seriously.... the amount of negative reinforcement is over whelming to not collect him....to not waste my time...to don't get sucked in.....

But yet i feel compelled even more knowing all of this to collect him....because of all of those negative factors......

and so i can make another excel sheet and start checking things off it...man...i love that the most about collecting cards....checking off cards on a list......
I was a fan of Tim too back when I started getting into hockey. Why not go for Bob Essensa lol
IF you start it, STAY OFF MY WINGS BRAHH! Tongue
Damnit, I just got done with the excel and saw ITG must be running out of ideas and has dug up this washed up player and trying to market it. There's a bunch of low numbered print cards. I wonder how many years ITG will ride this train.....
I actually had a game-worn Cheveldae jersey
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, the fight between him and Joseph immediately came to mind. I remember hearing that on the radio when it happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNNkaUVERKo

"Here comes Cheveldaeeeee!" Classic call.

I don't have any Cheveldae cards, but best of luck with your PC.
You should do it because nobody else is