Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: which box to buy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i read the threads on all the box breaks on here and want some advice on some boxes to buy. At the end of the week i wanna buy 2 maybe 3 boxes and dont know what to get. Seems like the high end boxes from what i see on here are not really worth the money due to some of the cards ive seen pulled outta them. And the low end boxes idk if itd be worth buying an entire box. Also i dont know what years would be better than others to buy. Any advice please????
It depends what you're looking for.

If you're a set builder, buy a jumbo box of base Topps ...

If you're a prospect/rookie collector, start with the Bowman stuff, either regular Bowman or Bowman Platinum.

As for what year, make sure to research ahead of time if you're looking for a specific player ... for example, a lot of early Bryce Harper and Mike Trout stuff came out in 2011.

Or, like, if you're looking for Yasiel Puig, he wasn't in a lot of the early 2013 releases ... so it's important to look into it ahead of time if you are looking for something specific.
right now im specifically collecting all reds cards from base to mem and auto...love buying boxes tho and know ill get some from a box but also looking for cards that i can move easily to get the cards im collecting
(09-17-2013, 07:47 PM)pmiddleton84 Wrote: [ -> ]right now im specifically collecting all reds cards from base to mem and auto...love buying boxes tho and know ill get some from a box but also looking for cards that i can move easily to get the cards im collecting
Probably your best bet would be a jumbo of Topps then ... I think they have 3 hits (?) per box and usually one auto, plus all the base cards and a decent mix of inserts — most likely to get the best mix of cards of your favorite team.

If you're wanting mostly Reds, just post a thread in the trading section, something like "WTTF All Reds Cards" or something like that ... then make sure you have cards listed for trade and updated in your org so you don't waste people's time.
thanks
I'm a big fan of Bowman Platinum, but I'm not exactly sure how brimming Reds or Reds prospects it is this year. I know there's some Hamilton and Corcino in there, but I'm drawing a blank on the rest.
Other than hamilton the reds prospects arent really all that great this year but if id get some good cards I could use to trade id be happy and if I pull some good reds thatd be a plus
Stay away from high end....only buy singles. Looks like your trying to find that "happy place" we all look for. Both RJ's and Jared's advice/suggestions were great. Maybe instead of Hobby Boxes, buy a bunch of different blaster products. Assuming $200-300 to spend....you could get 10-15 different blasters. No guar. of hits, but you would have a nice selection.

PS...sent a Open Trade offer over, see if I have anything you may want. (no rush). Were you trying to corner the market on Kyle D. RC cards? Kidding.....
Ill look at the offer in a couple and I think I have a card I just got in u might like ill add it to the org later...I made a trade with a local guy for a couple thousand rookies and got all those kyle d's lol if he ever hits it ill be set haha
Send that offer again it never showed up for me to see
If I were you, I'd pick up a box of 2011 Topps Update ... if you can find it.
Besides the Mike Trout Rookie in there, there's a Todd Frazier Rookie as well as a Paul Goldschmidt RC.
There are gold, sparkle and cognac parallel cards of these RCs and some nice vintage SP cards, too.
The Jumbo box has 1 auto and 2 relics and you'll get a wide selection of inserts from that box. One of my favorite boxes to bust. I think you nearly get a complete set of cards. I'd stay away from High End boxes, but someone here (PhreakyQ? maybe?) always does box breaks with an online company ... might be good, you can just pay for a spot and only get Reds. Might be the way to go, if High End is your thing.
Good Luck and have fun!!
Pages: 1 2