Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Mail Call (scans)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks to all those I've even attempted trades with recently. Here are some of my newer pickups...

Trading's been slow. Like, slower than a Darryl Sutter press conference on valium. Slower than Hal Gill on rollerskates. You get the picture: real slow. Not surprising, then, that I was pretty stoked to get even a single-color piece for my 11-12 Upper Deck MULTICOLOR Game Jersey side-project:

[Image: ForsbergUDGameJersey_zps4dea1f08.jpg]
I tell myself I can always upgrade later is how I sleep at night.

I guess I should be thankful for the lull in the action since my traders are almost tapped out. This is one of the few remaining bigger bait which just came in last weekend:

[Image: JoeSakic2011-12UltimateSignaturesSP_zps7851b87a.jpg]
Group A = 1:141 packs, meaning it's 15x more difficult to pull than the Bobby Orr, yet it's still worth less. Sakic gets no love.

Anyways, I really like the look of these Game Jerseys and here's the first one that actually fits the profile:

[Image: DaleHawerchuk11-12UDGameJersey2clr_zpsdd3340d0.jpg]
Yes, I realize it's Hawerchuk (a.k.a. the player with more multicolor jersey cards than God).

Multicolor jerseys have always been my thing though so it's nice to get one of a mini-PC player:

[Image: SelanneGoodOlDaysJersey3clr_zps5cd067e7.jpg]
Please don't call the 3-Color Police on me.

Another mini-PC addition:

[Image: SelanneUDIce05-06Parallel100.jpg]
To noobs like me, he'll always be not just any duck but a plucky, some might say even mighty, duck.

Returning for the moment to 11-12 Game Jerseys, here's one that doesn't quite fit the bill either, but it's a PC guy and I haven't seen too many gold swatches on Series 1 & 2 Getzlafs...which is part of what makes this card special to me:

[Image: Getzlaf11-12UDGameJersey_zps31906a32.jpg]
Dare you to show me another gold-swatched Getzlaf from this set and year. Double dog dare you.

And a few more of this underrated player just because I like how these cards look. Here's the best pure autograph card design from The Cup as far as I'm concerned, though admittedly I haven't come across too many Cup cards in my time:

[Image: Getzlaf10-11TheCupEnshrinements50_zps3eedf361.jpg]
Someone told me once that POEs look pretty nice too.

Is 11-12 or 12-13 Artifacts the best-looking yet? I've been torn and this isn't helping things:

[Image: Getzlaf12-13ArtifactsPatchJersey_zpsc3d49cd3.jpg]
Found out the hard way this was chewed up by a dog: after having traded for it. Natch.

From PC player to PC set, here's an oddball for my 2007-08 O-Pee-Chee master set:

[Image: EvgeniMalkinOPCBasePromo_zps4be89b1f.jpg]
Can you spot the giveaway that this was non-pack-released?

And now the top 3:

#3: I always go back and forth on this guy and right now, I'm forth.
[Image: PatrickKaneSPAFWARC_zpsbed2e319.jpg]
No waffling on SP Authentic RC AUs though...they are simply fantastic hockey cards.

I can be on occasion your stereotypical fairweather NHL fan/collector...hot and cold on a player. But maybe as Patrick Kane devlops a more complete game, I'll grow out of the flavor-of-the-month streak in my collecting habits...or maybe not.

#2: I can't think of a sticker auto set more consistently eye-poppingly awesome year in and year out.
[Image: HasekFlashbackFabricsv2_zps7328fbf3.jpg]
Maybe a bit too Lucy-in-the-Sky-with-Diamonds-influenced for some people's liking?

I've been trying to find a nice replacement autograph ever since I traded away his Marks of Obsidian (upon realizing the memorabilia swatch is manufactured). I know Haseks's graph isn't really regarded as anything special, but dang it if it isn't one of the crispest coolest dark-horse sigs in the game.

#1: This next one is a gift from a friend of mine whom I met on these very boards, and that's why it's special. Otherwise it wouldn't be that great a card...

[Image: SidneyCrosbyYG_zpsb818d7b5.jpg]
If by "not that great" you mean arguably the most iconic hockey card of the modern era, then yes, it's not that great.

It wasn't long after I mentioned to my buddy that I'd gone over to the dark side and was looking for a Crosby YG that I got a PM telling me to watch out for a Crosby YG in the mail. Nick, this is beyond awesome - thanks again. It's been a long week at work because my "supervisor" (defined extremely loosely) has been particularly, uh, difficult the past few days and even still, this made my week.

That's it for now folks - appreciate the look!
Wow, sick mail call. That Crosby is one I would like to own some day.
Very nice cards!
Great looking additions. Love the Crosby YG and Kane SPA FW rookie.

Thanks for sharing.
Nick, whoever you are, I too am in need of a Crosby Young Guns card. Let me know if you have anymore.
Insane pick-ups, Al!!! That Crosby is sick! Congrats on the brilliant mailday, and kudos to Nick!

Randi
That's slow trading? Yikes, you must be swimming in cards when things pick up. That's a hell of a mailday!
Those are some nice pick ups. Congrats on getting your Crosby young gun. I know how much you have wanted one.