Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Who have been some of the best late bloomers in the media's eyes- Hitters Edition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just curious what everyone's opinion is on hitters. Who have taken a while to become a star or super star according to the media coverage. I'll start with a few, this should be very interesting. Lets try to keep it from the 90s - current. Thanks - Dale

- Chris Davis
- Jose Bautista
- Adam Jones
- Miguel Cabrera (lets face it when he was with the Marlins no one paid attention to him)
(07-14-2013, 12:18 PM)dspainjr Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious what everyone's opinion is on hitters. Who have taken a while to become a star or super star according to the media coverage. I'll start with a few, this should be very interesting. Lets try to keep it from the 90s - current. Thanks - Dale

- Chris Davis
- Jose Bautista
- Adam Jones
- Miguel Cabrera (lets face it when he was with the Marlins no one paid attention to him)
Stars? or just really improved?? or rising maybe?

No way Jones or Davis a star yet. Jones has actually been fairly consistent of being good but not a star I just think its because the orioles are decent now.

Davis- its only been a year and a half. lets give it time. i say rising...

Bautista- i could agree as a late star. guess he finally learned how to use the syringe...

Miguel-come on he made 4 all star teams in fla and world series. i think he was underrated and not covered as much now that he is the best hitter in mlb.

I say these guys-

Konerko- late star- flopped as top pick with LA and cincy

These guys ROSE late but not really stars or super stars...

David Ortiz- ok maybe a star for a few yrs.

Jayson Werth- rising last few yrs when healthy

Dante Bichette- prob after using roids too but who knows

Luis Gonzalez- star for a few years FOR SURE after the roids which bummed me out as I loved the guy

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I fear that Bautista and Davis could be exposed in a few years for PED's. I hope not, but the way things have gone you have to wonder. It'd break my heart if Miggy was ever caught doing the same.
Jim Thome. I don't think anyone would've predicted he'd go on to hit 600 home runs at the start of his career.
Awesome sig Zeprock
(07-14-2013, 02:22 PM)cross4444 Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome sig Zeprock
Thanky.
(07-14-2013, 01:32 PM)cross4444 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'm just cynical, but I fear that Bautista and Davis could be exposed in a few years for PED's. I hope not, but the way things have gone you have to wonder. It'd break my heart if Miggy was ever caught doing the same.

you think?? haha

bautista for sure...
i think I gotta include domonic brown on this list, after some short stints int he bigs it looks like he finally came through to his expectations