Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Please explain to me about Toploaders...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As long as I've been collecting... I still hadn't thought about toploader sizes and the pt system until I ran out of a particular size. How many sizes are there?
I've seen the following sizes for the normal 3x4 card

20pt, 55pt, 75pt, 100pt, 120pt, 130pt, 180pt and 360pt
(06-29-2013, 01:35 PM)ZeroDave Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen the following sizes for the normal 3x4 card

20pt, 55pt, 75pt, 100pt, 120pt, 130pt, 180pt and 360pt
And i believe there are the oddball numbered ones like 59pt, 79pt, and 108pt...

What does the "pt" stand for? Is there a way to measure the thickness of a card and decide, "hey, I need a 79pt top loader for this?"
(06-29-2013, 01:41 PM)jheringa09 Wrote: [ -> ]And i believe there are the oddball numbered ones like 59pt, 79pt, and 108pt...

What does the "pt" stand for? Is there a way to measure the thickness of a card and decide, "hey, I need a 79pt top loader for this?"
Honestly, I don't know. I just size them up and keep top-loaders of all sizes on hand.
(06-29-2013, 01:54 PM)ZeroDave Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I don't know. I just size them up and keep top-loaders of all sizes on hand.
Lol
I did that also... until I ran out of a specific size.
PT = Point, but some people think of it as Paper Thickness and is a term used for card stock. A point is equal to 1 mil (which is 1/1000 of an inch, i.e. 0.001 inches). So a 100 pt. card is 1/10 inch (or 2.54 mm if you prefer metric).
What is the most common size used for regular cards?
(06-29-2013, 08:23 PM)hurdygurdyman Wrote: [ -> ]What is the most common size used for regular cards?
20 pts.
It's the basic cards. No thickness to them just straight flat.

Hmmmm This gives me an idea...
Why don't manufacturers just stamp the point size at the bottom of the top loaders?! This'll make it easier with less guessing when grabbing random top loaders.
Adding a stamp would either require and additional step during manufacturing or a change to their molds. It essentially comes down to cost. If there was enough demand that showed people were willing to pay a premium for them then the companies might do it. However I don't think most people would pay a premium, considering even if you know the size of the holder you still have to figure out the size of the card.

(06-29-2013, 09:21 PM)jheringa09 Wrote: [ -> ]20 pts.
It's the basic cards. No thickness to them just straight flat.

Hmmmm This gives me an idea...
Why don't manufacturers just stamp the point size at the bottom of the top loaders?! This'll make it easier with less guessing when grabbing random top loaders.
Pages: 1 2 3