Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Fake 90s autos... a lot of them...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems like this guy is making a killing on fake 90s autos...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=2612...te=1&rt=nc

I won one of the Dominique Wilkins autos, but then after looking closer it just seemed a little off. Not much, but just enough that I looked at his other auctions and then decided to cancel the transaction.

It seems like most of these are selling low, but there is a lot of money being made here. Does this guy have a stamp and good penmanship or what?
Tough to tell. The fact that he has SO many IPAs and they didn't go through the most reputable sources for authentication is an automatic red flag. Most of the sigs look awfully close though, except one of the Rodman ones. I dunno. I'd shy away too though I think.
Along with being one of the most widely known fakes, that Kobe Scoreboard auto is horrible.
(06-25-2013, 12:01 AM)dleifriaf Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems like this guy is making a killing on fake 90s autos...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=2612...te=1&rt=nc

I won one of the Dominique Wilkins autos, but then after looking closer it just seemed a little off. Not much, but just enough that I looked at his other auctions and then decided to cancel the transaction.

It seems like most of these are selling low, but there is a lot of money being made here. Does this guy have a stamp and good penmanship or what?
Yes, he seems to be making quite a bit of them. I have seen other sellers doing loads of fakes like this as well and the real problem is that when someone buys from them they could turn around and resell the card, and most people wouldn't question the new seller since they are only selling 1 of the cards and not loads like this seller. This is definitely a big black eye for the hobby, and one reason that even grading companies won't grade the older 90s autographs (as their are too many fakes that are hard to tell apart from the legit ones).
(06-25-2013, 11:04 AM)djohn Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, he seems to be making quite a bit of them. I have seen other sellers doing loads of fakes like this as well and the real problem is that when someone buys from them they could turn around and resell the card, and most people wouldn't question the new seller since they are only selling 1 of the cards and not loads like this seller. This is definitely a big black eye for the hobby, and one reason that even grading companies won't grade the older 90s autographs (as their are too many fakes that are hard to tell apart from the legit ones).

I'm worried about that grading issue too. I just bought a box of old school Ultra product that has the Pippen autos. Odds are good to hit at least one in a full box, but I don't know if BGS will grade it? Maybe I could video the box break and send it to them as evidence?
I bought this Kobe about a year ago from a Seller from the Phillipines. The guy claimed to have aquired the card from the Fleer Bankruptcy auction and that it was supposed to be a BuyBack. I was not aware of all the fakes that were being produced at this time. I submitted the card to JSA and it came back as a fake. So I was out of $80 combined with what I spent on the card and the JSA fee. Lesson learned.
How are these guys getting away with this?

[Image: 96-97SkyboxPremiumAutowithSkyboxSOA.jpg]
(06-25-2013, 12:51 PM)buckunteer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm worried about that grading issue too. I just bought a box of old school Ultra product that has the Pippen autos. Odds are good to hit at least one in a full box, but I don't know if BGS will grade it? Maybe I could video the box break and send it to them as evidence?
What old school Ultra product has good odds for a Pippen auto in a box. The 92-93 Ultra series 1 boxes had about 1 Pippen (non-auto) card per box. The autographs were 1 per case if that. I know he signed 2,000 of each card and there are 10 versions which means 20,000 total autographs. I can't imagine that they only made 20,000 boxes (especially back in 1993 when basketball was hot and the average print run was over 250,000 boxes).
(06-25-2013, 12:51 PM)buckunteer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm worried about that grading issue too. I just bought a box of old school Ultra product that has the Pippen autos. Odds are good to hit at least one in a full box, but I don't know if BGS will grade it? Maybe I could video the box break and send it to them as evidence?
POSSIBLE recommendation...send the box to Chris Olds. Have him break it for Box Busters and if there's an AU (any AU) have them send it over to BGS so they know it's real. Smile Not sure he'd do that or if it'd even be worth it, and they might be skeptical (a guy is sending us a box to break to make sure the AU is authentic, is he testing his tacts on us to see if we can spot his fakes?), but at least they'd know it was pack pulled. Smile
yeah I screwed up. The Pippen inserts are 1:21 but the autoed ones are 1:9000. I didn't pull one, or anything else worth mentioning, for that matter lol