Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: EBAY SHIPPING CHARGES (RATING)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, here is my situation...I won 17 auctions from a seller...in the description it read:

Shipping:$3.99 Standard Shipping |

Then it reads this:

TO ALL OUR VALUED CUSTOMER AND EBAYER PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE BIDDING

1. WE COMBINED SHIPPING
2. ALL OTHER ADDITIONAL WINS WILL NEED TO ADD $1.50
3. SHIPPING ALL IN USPS FIRST CLASS 2DAYS TO 5DAYS DEPENDING ON LOCATION
4. BUBBLE ENVELOPE
5. ALL CARDS IN SINGLE SLEEVE AND TOP LOADER OR MAGNET DEPENDING THE VALUE OF THE ITEM WON

Which I overlooked....

So, when I go to pay for my auctions here is my invoice:

Subtotal: US $36.22

Shipping & handling: US $6.07

Seller discounts (-) or charges (+): +US $24.00

Total: US $66.29

The seller adds an extra 24.00 dollars for the additional 1.50 for each auction.

I received my cards already which came in one bubble wrapped envelope weighing 0.8 ounces...well packaged with a lot of tape that I needed the "jaws of life" to remove it...LOL!!!

My questions is when I leave feedback, do I rate the seller 5 stars (because I overlooked the additional 1.50 per auction won) and misunderstood the combined shipping or would it be fair to give the seller a lesser rating on S/H?
If the shipping only costs $6.07 you should not be paying the seller $24+
(06-21-2013, 05:00 AM)evanturner12 Wrote: [ -> ]If the shipping only costs $6.07 you should not be paying the seller $24+
The true shipping was $6.07. The seller made an adjustment of $24.00 to cover his shipping. Personally, I think charging buyers anything for the same envelope and more than likely the same shipping charge is robbery.

However, he disclosed it. Its on you.
Evanturner21: Thanks for the input..appreciate it.

JMarchand1981: Good point, I noticed the added the cost after I had paid multiple auctions...I was in a hurry at the time and was going to be at a place where my wi-fi and internet connection is very slow and weak if not I would have asked. I did not realize the extra cost until I returned. What made me more confused was when I paid, the charge is an added charge and not included in the S/H.

The think the sellers problem is that the buyer has to request a new invoice for combined shipping.

If you would have done that, he probably would have listing the additional charges under shipping.

I would give him one star just for charging you 5 times the actual shipping.

(06-21-2013, 06:41 AM)arod0770710 Wrote: [ -> ]Evanturner21: Thanks for the input..appreciate it.

JMarchand1981: Good point, I noticed the added the cost after I had paid multiple auctions...I was in a hurry at the time and was going to be at a place where my wi-fi and internet connection is very slow and weak if not I would have asked. I did not realize the extra cost until I returned. What made me more confused was when I paid, the charge is an added charge and not included in the S/H.
That is insane. I have won over 1000 items on ebay, including multiple cards from the same seller on several occasions and I have never seen any seller charge so much extra for shipping... If he disclosed it in the auction you shouldn't knock him but that is a horrible business practice and I can't believe someone would be so greedy to charge almost $20 over actual shipping cost.... sorry to hear about your misfortune. Did he send you an invoice? Is there any chance you paid before the invoice arrived?
I'd give him 1 star...even if he states it in his auction doesnt make it a sound business practice. I did this to someone once when I won 10 auctions and they added i think .75 or so for each. They showed up in just one of those plastic mailers all taped together in top loaders. The next time i won some auctions from them he capped the shipping, I'm guessing I wasnt the only one he pissed off and got the hint.
Yeah this is a bizarre scenario. In the strictest sense he did nothing wrong because he did what he stated his policy was. That said, $1.50 per extra card is absurd. Costs the same up to 3 oz. That's one card in a top loader or 6.

We've all done stuff like that though. Just won a Richmond auction for an 01-02 ruby parallel /100. Got it and it was a proof of the card, no numbering. It was stated in the auction though, but I just threw out a low bid and didn't pay any other attention and won it. Lessons for all of us I suppose...

and one star is definitely justifiable. If I get charged more than $3 for a single card (in the U.S. of course) I start taking stars away for shipping costs. I also bash people who charge $10 to mail me a wax box that fits in a small flat rate box that costs I believe $5.60. Not cool!
Thanks for the input guys...I appreciate it.

TBARN: I was in a hurry and did not even check for an invoice but upon reading your post, I checked and the invoice reads the same...with the additional charges at the bottom. Actually, now that I remember, I was waiting for an invoice because the charges were much higher at 3.99 per auction. So when I was paying I say the S/H adjusted and overlooked the additional charges at the bottom. Lessoned learned, next time I will be a little bit more careful...Thanks for the insight.
On another note...I have had sellers refund me shipping before when I have made a mistake and payed before invoice, its usually a 3 or 4 dollar refund but its nice of them to refund. I guess if this seller was not capitalizing on that...he would have said, you paid me too much for shipping, let me give you a refund...LOL!!! The guy has awesome cards but I guess its the last time I buy from him/her. (Lesson Learned)