Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: OT: Favorite Player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Growing up: Wade Boggs
Teen years: Didn't have one
College years: Started telling people in '96 to watch this kid, Nomar Garciaparra who I followed until he left the game.
Now: Manny Machado
All Time: Ted Williams
(06-20-2013, 06:44 PM)gherkin1496 Wrote: [ -> ]what are your collecting statistics on him?
What is this comment supposed to mean??
I think he means how many cards you have, how many GUd, autos, 1/1s, etc.

For instance, my Tyrell Jenkins statistics are as follows:

Total cards: 689
Non 1/1s: 30 of 37 different
Autos: 41 (12 different)
GUd: 0 (hasn't had any GUd yet)
Minor League cards: 4 different

(06-20-2013, 07:42 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: [ -> ]What is this comment supposed to mean??
Nolan Ryan
in 1989 in little league I was a starting pitcher. My dad told me to watch him and so I did. I will admit I was never a Nolan Ryan type of player but I did play all the positions in the field. I enjoyed pitching, 1st base, SS and CF the most.

I think my my sig states who my favorite players are. I could add Jeter, Sandberg, Ripken, Hamilton, and Pujols to this list as well

Favorite players growing up (mid-late 1980s): Pete O'Brien and Larry Parrish (Rangers players)

Favorite players in high school/college: Nolan Ryan, Rusty Greer, Will Clark (again Rangers players)

Favorite player now: Tyrell Jenkins (Cardinals prospect)

All-time favorite player (actually have 5 of them because when you think of the Rangers, you think of these 5 guys): Nolan Ryan, Rusty Greer, Will Clark, Michael Young, Ivan Rodriguez
Of course there's Mantle, Mattingly & Munson right there in my sig!
Currently (hopefully, still currently) there's Jeter! Mariano is right up there, too!

My favorite past nonYankee player of all time would have to be Willie Mays!
I never got to see Mantle or Mays in their prime, but even when they were way past their prime, they still exuded a quality that couldn't be put into words!

I'm limiting my choices to players that I got to see play in person, otherwise, I'd be listing people I've read about all day long Smile ...... I mean, who in their right mind doesn't love The Babe? Or Lou Gehrig? Or Joe D? Or Yogi? Even Yankee haters respect these legendary figures! I would have loved to see them play! How amazing woud it be to see Ted Williams' graceful swing in person? Satchel Paige striking out a baffled batter? Josh Gibson hitting one a country mile? Sandy Koufax pitching a no hitter? There are so many players and so many greats of the game. I don't know how super collectors can focus all that energy on only one player? Sorry to ramble on ...
I gotta say Mike Trout ... (can hear the eye rolls across the world, LOL) ... I just love the way he seems to enjoy the game and appreciates the fans.

Smiling all the time, great player, the whole package.
Favorite player growing up was the Big Hurt. Never got to see him play in person though.

The Kid is a close second and actually got to see him play a few times in person both in and past his prime.

Favorite player now would have to be a toss up between some of my Rays players past and mostly present. It would have to be between these guys: Big Game James, David Price, Helly, Matt Moore, Super Sam Fuld, the Zorilla, and Sean Rod. All play hard, play the game the right way, are humble, are super nice and are very, very personable/likeable. It has to be nearly if not impossible for anyone to dislike these guys in my opinion. If coaches count too than Joe Maddon would also be on my list for much the same reasons. There are potentially more on the way from the farm too.
(06-20-2013, 11:52 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: [ -> ]1. I'm limiting my choices to players that I got to see play in person, otherwise, I'd be listing people I've read about all day long Smile ...... I mean, who in their right mind doesn't love The Babe? Or Lou Gehrig? Or Joe D? Or Yogi?

2. Even Yankee haters respect these legendary figures!

3. I don't know how super collectors can focus all that energy on only one player?
1. I don't!!

2. I don't!!

3. It's easy!! Nolan's the ONLY player that I care about!!
as a kid: Griffey/Randy Johnson
Now: Felix Hernandez

(waiting for the card company to make a dual auto of those 2 pitchers)
Pages: 1 2 3 4