Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: *UPDATE: VIDEO!* You Younger Than 29? This Jersey Certainly Is Not :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So here is part two of my day's show and tell! No less epic than the first, but had to be posted separately in my humble opinion.

You all know that I plan on opening a museum dedicated to the history of NHL Goaltending. If not, now you do. Anyways, after selling a few hockey cards, I had some money to go vintage with my memorabilia pickups. This one piece just popped out to me because of its age, and because it fit into my narrow interests within the goaltending memorabilia market.

This here is a 1983-83 season Maine Mariners AHL jersey worn by Steve Baker. Let me back up to the beginning before you all think that this is a nobody player and question me on why the heck I would pay money for it.

Steve Baker was drafted 44th overall in the 1977 NHL Amateur Draft and went on to debut with the team in 1979-80. He lasted in the big league until the 1982-83 season. In his four seasons of National Hockey League play, he played in 57 games and compiled a 20-20-11 record with 3 shutouts, a 0.872% save average, and a 3.70 GAA.

This jersey was worn by him in his final season of professional hockey while with the AHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers. He played 13 games that year, some of which he wore this jersey for. It is complete with team repairs, puck marks, bleeding orange, as well as an intact fight strap. A letter of auhenticity from the Meigray Group more than makes up for the lack of a nameplate!

Here is the front of the jersey:

[Image: bakerfront_zps9ffde90b.jpg]

Here is the front crest:

[Image: bakerfrontcrest_zps717a81f1.jpg]

Here are a couple of team repairs right on the front:

[Image: bakerfrontrepair_zps3997abfc.jpg]

Here is a puck mark on the bottom-left side of the front:

[Image: bakerfrontpuckmark_zps2a1e0b13.jpg]

Here is the back:

[Image: bakerback_zpseb4e99b9.jpg]

Here is part of the number and the removed nameplate:

[Image: bakerbacknobr_zps70505a91.jpg]

Here is the back number:

[Image: bakerbacknumber_zps27240b53.jpg]

Here is a team repair on the back left sleeve:

[Image: bakerbackleftrepair_zps3b3899c5.jpg]

And because there is always one "professor" out there:

[Image: bakerloa_zps09ec808b.jpg]

Comments always welcome!

UPDATE*

While looking for random stuff, I came across this, feels good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcqB72qWCfQ
So cool, did they list any reason for removing the name? Was it meant to be reused by the team in the day?
(06-11-2013, 08:14 PM)snobles Wrote: [ -> ]So cool, did they list any reason for removing the name? Was it meant to be reused by the team in the day?
No reason listed, but it was a very common practice at the time, so that is a reasonable assumption. That's what makes buying vintage such a difficult venture. A lot of jerseys were never issued with nameplates, have nameplates removed, or the plates are completely replaced with another player's. Meigray certainly helps!
Great addition to the future museum collection. Lmk when it opens and tix go on sale......ill have to slide by to see it and possibly LOAN my Pens goalie stuff for a period of time.

Congrats!!!
I just learned some cool facts...team repairs, I never thought about that. Very cool, thanks for sharing and imparting some knowledge.
Thats an old jersey my friend. What happened to the name plate?
So cool and great thanks for this man . . . .
I think that is pretty dang cool!!! Me being from Maine and all I am not biased one bit lol!
Thanks for the comments guys!
Very nice acquisition indeed, Bruce! Congrats on the brilliant jersey, and thanks for sharing that video. Really nice when you can show off the piece in question!

Randi
Pages: 1 2