Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Need Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking to purchase some cards, mainly a 56 topps mantle. He says that is the best card of the bunch in terms of condition. But says they wouldn't grade higher than a 4 most likely.
What kind of price would be good for an offer on it? I don't need the card but for the right price I would take it.
Anything helps.

[Image: 289y4pv.jpg]
I just started dabbling in vintage recently, but with my limited knowledge and lack of a better picture that doesn't look like a 4 to me. Looks like a PSA 3 auction on ebay ended at $227 and another had a BIN for $370 and sold for $340.
Even if you think it can grade a 3 or a 4, I would never pay PSA 3 or 4 prices for it. It's ungraded. It is possible it's trimmed. A large number are trimmed even if the edges are soft again. This obviously isn't as faked as the 52 Mantle but there are some fakes. I actually don't really care about the grade for my vintage stuff but I do care that it is ungraded so I can verify it's authentic and untrimmed. I would rather have a graded PSA 3 than an ungraded card that may grade a PSA 5.

With that said, it has some of the worst centering possible on that card and has some pretty heavy wear and I highly doubt it would ever get to a 4. I wouldn't pay for than like $90ish for the Mantle.

Here is what I would be the middle of what I would pay:
Mantle: $90
Koufax: $45
Reese: $10
Williams: $35
Snider: $25

So I would start somewhere around $175, be happy with $205, and pass at $225.

Additionally, this, other than his rookie, is my favorite Mantle and one of the better investment cards in my opinion.