Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Opinions needed please(concerns most)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have recently decided to get into set building some.
I've been approaching some folks for trades and stated initially
that if trading down,how much BV I would feel comfortable
giving up.
IE... I need twenty of your cards at $50 bv.
I would like to give up $40 if you're receiving one or two of mine.
Some folks(Not picking on one individual),
are ok with this and some get quite insulted.
Am i wrong in my thinking on this?
I know opinions will vary but just wanting to know what some of you
think.
And yes I understand each situation is different,based on what
both ends want.
I think it is based on who wants what. Some guys are locked on even BV and some will sacrifice or want extra depending on needs or wants. Just look around to see what works. There are times if i make offers and they sit for days i will see if others have what i am looking for then figure out which deal works best for everyone.
if trading multiple cards for one or two cards, i expect to give up more in BV. nothing wrong with it, just commen courtesy I think
I traded someone 90 cards they needed for a Heritage set for 1 card. I expected to give up more in BV than the other trader. If I remember correctly I took about $30 less in BV.
Allways mention in your trade that you are trying to complete sets. Most not all would be willing to trade in your favor in BV. For example you want 25 cards that books for 20. I may choose 2 cards that book 5
Need to remember which some forget when doing this kind of a trade. The one with most cards will have a higher shipping cost
(06-04-2013, 01:06 PM)IronChef Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is based on who wants what. Some guys are locked on even BV and some will sacrifice or want extra depending on needs or wants. Just look around to see what works. There are times if i make offers and they sit for days i will see if others have what i am looking for then figure out which deal works best for everyone.
Patience is a virtue.. Big Grin
On one hand I don't like it and on the other I totally understand it.

I had one person propose a trade of roughly 50 of my common/uncommon cards for their set and about 25 of their cards that are on my want lists. The 25 they added were like "common Jeter" cards which obviously book for more than a common. Overall this was trade was equal BV and they were happy with it.

I also had one person who chose like 300 or so of my common/uncommon cards with a BV around $150 and asked what I would want in return. I chose about $135-$140 BV of mostly common cards of my PC guys, so again, not true commons but not high end by any means. He wasn't thrilled and proposed more on the order of $90 BV. On one hand I was offended by that because you want my cards so they obviously have value to you and I wasn't asking for any cards over a couple bucks. But I also then thought about the fact that I had multiple duplicates of most of them he was asking for that would have just sat in a box, so moving them to someone else who needs them and me getting some of the cards I wanted in return was reasonable so I trimmed my list down and we did the trade.

How much I sway to one side or the other would really depend on the cards. 25x $2 cards in exchange for 2x $20 cards I would not be offended by at all, I would be trading up greatly. 50x $0.50 cards in exchange for 20x $1 cards would annoy me a little more because in reality all of those are pretty much common cards so why should I lose out on about 20%.

So yeah, each person is going to react differently. I doubt I helped any, just telling you a few experiences I've had.
(06-04-2013, 01:07 PM)ca4n6chuck Wrote: [ -> ]if trading multiple cards for one or two cards, i expect to give up more in BV. nothing wrong with it, just commen courtesy I think
My sentiments usually as well.

Patience is a virtue for sure but some times trades just die off.
(06-04-2013, 01:10 PM)phillies816 Wrote: [ -> ]I traded someone 90 cards they needed for a Heritage set for 1 card. I expected to give up more in BV than the other trader. If I remember correctly I took about $30 less in BV.
Again thats the way I look at things most times too.

(06-04-2013, 01:11 PM)waynetalger Wrote: [ -> ]Allways mention in your trade that you are trying to complete sets. Most not all would be willing to trade in your favor in BV. For example you want 25 cards that books for 20. I may choose 2 cards that book 5
Need to remember which some forget when doing this kind of a trade. The one with most cards will have a higher shipping cost
Good point on the shipping costs.

On one hand I was offended by that because you want my cards so they obviously have value to you and I wasn't asking for any cards over a couple bucks.

VERY valid point as well.
Pages: 1 2