Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Thoughts on This Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came across this cased card... The card is listed, but as a card only. Any thoughts on a value with a game-used swatch included?

Thanks.

[Image: SCAN0003_zps6430b55d.jpg]
I've seen a Kobe Topps Chrome RC with the same feature - a jersey slabbed in on top right.
This is a great question, and I hope someone can help. Was it an expensive card?
I think its an extra you could add on for like $20 extra or something like that. From what ive seen, it slightly raises value but not much. I think if thats a six dollar card, you might get ten with the jersey.
(05-25-2013, 11:32 PM)johanolsson Wrote: [ -> ]Was it an expensive card?
I honestly don't remember where I picked this one up. I'm gonna guess it was a bonus in a box I opened, at some point.

It's interesting, though.

Can I take this as a legitimate piece of a jersey as Beckett was willing to put their name on it? Or for some $ amount can you add any old piece of fabric and say it was someone's jersey?

I would think, if Beckett was going to put their name on it, there would be some belief that the swatch is real. Else they risk bringing their grading/authentication into question...
Its real if its from Beckett. But since its not actually a piece of the card, it looses intrest from most collectors.
This was a gimmick that Beckett and other grading companies got into around 10 years ago when the game used cards really started taking off. You could send any card in from a list of players and have it graded along with a piece of game used material added. There were a few companies that sell repackaged cards at Target and Walmart that started using these as a way of guaranteeing 1 graded and game used card per pack. There are a lot of variations since Beckett wasn't the only one doing this at the time, but most collectors have minimal interest in any of them.