Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: How would you improve this site?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello, my name is Justin. I am a new employee at Beckett Media. Before I was an employee here, I was a collector and a member of this forum. I have been a member of this community for about two years now and I think that we have a great community. I am always seeing a lot of people being positive towards one another and being very supportive.

One thing that I have noticed though, is comments and threads discussing people's unhappiness with our site. I understand frustrations that people have, I used to have them myself. I will say that there are a lot of new things coming that will make things easier for all of us to use the site. I just want to take a moment and ask everyone what would you like to see differently that would make this site better for users.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to reading everyone's opinion.
Well, I can't say anything towards improving the site, I think it's great, for the most part, personally. The issues you have with the database is something that I can relate to, I'm a database admin at the company I work for, and I know how difficult it can be to have millions upon millions of records in different database tables and have to write code to access that data in an efficient manner. And your database, I can imagine, is orders of magnitude larger and more complicated than the one I've been dealing with for the past 11 years, and mine isn't small by any stretch.

If you have found ways to improve the speed, then I applaud your database designer and your web devs! It couldn't have been easy!
(05-09-2013, 09:39 AM)bojesphob Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I can't say anything towards improving the site, I think it's great, for the most part, personally. The issues you have with the database is something that I can relate to, I'm a database admin at the company I work for, and I know how difficult it can be to have millions upon millions of records in different database tables and have to write code to access that data in an efficient manner. And your database, I can imagine, is orders of magnitude larger and more complicated than the one I've been dealing with for the past 11 years, and mine isn't small by any stretch.

If you have found ways to improve the speed, then I applaud your database designer and your web devs! It couldn't have been easy!
Thanks for the response. On a side note, GO PACK GO! I am originally from WI and still love the Packers. It took being in TX to meet a player though. Met Donald when I worked at a print shop and got is autograph on a pic. Nicest guy ever.
as long as the speed is up to par i think its fine the way it is to be honest. im not saying it has to be lightning speed or anything cus im sure thats hard to do with so much info running through the server at any given time. but as long as i dont have to wait 5 minutes for one page to load im cool lol.
(05-09-2013, 09:56 AM)jgrunert Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the response. On a side note, GO PACK GO! I am originally from WI and still love the Packers. It took being in TX to meet a player though. Met Donald when I worked at a print shop and got is autograph on a pic. Nicest guy ever.
I've not even been to Wisconsin yet LOL! But, I did get to meet Reggie White in high school at a football camp in Ohio, that was pretty cool! And, next year I'm planning on going to a game and/or the owners meeting at Lambeau, so eventually I'll get up there to Titletown!

Whoops... here I go again highjacking a thread LOL
good lord...so many things (and there is a whole section dedicated to this: http://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-71.html you can find a lot there)

#1 thing: speed speeds speed. the site has to work faster all the time

uniform searching between trade, opg and org. take the best elements from each and make sure all three areas use them (partial searching in opg, parenthesis searching in org, team searches everywhere, etc)

all columns sortable, especially beckett value. all three areas

in the opg be able to use the conditional value column with using the condition column. right now, use one without the other and it gets an error

scrap member ratings based on board posts

bring along the matchmaker system or something similar

enough with having italics (http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-150...tpost.html)

i mean, i could go on for quite a while. im banging the org and opg for usually 10 hours a day, so those two areas and what my expertise is in. trading system i use as well, but less familiar with

An app to go along with the site. example.....the ebay app. You could snap a photo of your card and add straight to your organize. Get notifications of trades, check your organize at show LCS when shopping for a card(s). That would be the best for Beckett.
Add a poll feature for forum threads. Maybe add anther board strictly for signature and graphic requests so they don't keep ending up in "hobby talk"
(05-09-2013, 09:28 AM)jgrunert Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, my name is Justin. I am a new employee at Beckett Media. Before I was an employee here, I was a collector and a member of this forum. I have been a member of this community for about two years now and I think that we have a great community. I am always seeing a lot of people being positive towards one another and being very supportive.

One thing that I have noticed though, is comments and threads discussing people's unhappiness with our site. I understand frustrations that people have, I used to have them myself. I will say that there are a lot of new things coming that will make things easier for all of us to use the site. I just want to take a moment and ask everyone what would you like to see differently that would make this site better for users.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to reading everyone's opinion.
Contact DELL IN AUSTIN and BUY NEW SERVERS......
web site speed is #1....

get rid of the absolutely ridiculous thread star rating crap... please do this asap... what a waste of time and space they are...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6