Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: What do you do once you upgrade a card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the thread title states, what is your approach to upgrading a card you already own? Around November I secured a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. BGS 9 for a seriously low price. I listed my BGS 8.5 on Ebay and got about the same amount that I spent on my 9. This is probably the exception, and not the rule.

In between my submissions I think I'm going to start focusing on trying to upgrade some of my more signature cards in my collection to higher graded ones. I'm not too sure I want to sell them, but at the same time I don't want to start a new thread to trade every time I get a new replacement.

I am anxious to pick everyones' brains on this.
(05-07-2013, 05:04 PM)y2hood Wrote: [ -> ]As the thread title states, what is your approach to upgrading a card you already own? Around November I secured a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. BGS 9 for a seriously low price. I listed my BGS 8.5 on Ebay and got about the same amount that I spent on my 9. This is probably the exception, and not the rule.

In between my submissions I think I'm going to start focusing on trying to upgrade some of my more signature cards in my collection to higher graded ones. I'm not too sure I want to sell them, but at the same time I don't want to start a new thread to trade every time I get a new replacement.

I am anxious to pick everyones' brains on this.
I still have all my low Graded Nolan Ryans. My case is different, though. I'm not in a position to sell.
I do just what you did, I put the lower card on ebay and try to at least get as much as what I paid for it....however, many times I just take my lumps and move on. It's not a business for me so if I loose a couple bucks I don't sweat it much.
I recenty upgraded one of my Jeters from a 9 to 9.5. I just listed the 9 on Ebay and sold it. What I do now though is just be patient and wait for the 9.5 or 10 to show up on the Bay so I don't have to upgrade in the future. I figure if you just save up the money for what you really want and don't upgrade multiple times you won't lose money.
I try to sell my lower grades. I won't just give them away though. I have had to do a lot of raw submissions to get most of the graded cards I have. People don't realize the time, effort, and money that goes into buying multiple cards, doing the submission, paying for the grading, and waiting to get the cards back.

John