Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: hockey sketch cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have seen very few hockey sketch cards, I think Leaf Best of Hockey which just released is the first set to prominently feature them. But it does seem like in the last year or so, sketch cards have begun popping up more and more in sports sets whereas in the past they've been mostly a non-sports hit. I know Leaf also did Best of Football sketch cards, UFC has them, Topps Museum Collection, and I'm sure more that I'm not aware of.

What are your thoughts on sketch cards in hockey sets? Something you'd like to see more of, want to collect? Don't care either way?
as a sketch card artist, and i use that term VERY loosely for myself, i would love to see these in hockey products. i am pretty surprised that there hasn't been a mainstream introduction of them in hockey like there has been in other sports. in football, they even have sketches done by the rookies themselves...most of which are "kindergartenesk," but still a neat idea.

In 2008-09 UD Masterpieces, produced hockey sketch cards. I believe the set was somewhere around 65, all 1/1's. I was able to acquire 15 of the Gordie Howe's, and 3 Gretzky's. A few below, the rest are on my website (Under construction) @ WWW.WayneGretzky99.com

[Image: GordieHowe2008-09UDMasterpiecesSK16_zpsfb9c7aa7.jpg] [Image: GordieHowe2008-09UDMasterpiecesSK15_zps23507f5c.jpg] [Image: GordieHowe2008-09UDMasterpiecesSK13a_zps7aae004b.jpg]

[Image: WayneGretzky2008-09UDMasterpiecesSK3_zps3db4ba2a.jpg] [Image: WayneGretzky2008-09UDMasterpiecesSK5_zps411d07e4.jpg]

Nice, I see that you've already managed to track down a few of the Leaf Gordie's, and that set has only been out a few days.

How much did those masterpieces go for, approximately?
(03-23-2013, 06:08 PM)bradu Wrote: [ -> ]Nice, I see that you've already managed to track down a few of the Leaf Gordie's, and that set has only been out a few days.

How much did those masterpieces go for, approximately?
The leaf Gordie's I have are from the Las Vegas Summit show. I didn't care much for those sketches and the fact that the artist drew almost identical cards is a cop-out. The least he could have done is added color to one of them, but being a Howe collector i had to buy both. I haven't gotten any of the 'Best Of Hockey' yet, but as soon as they show on ebay, I'll be on 'em.

The UD Masterpieces varied, the Gretzky's I got in the $80-100 range and the Gordie's went upwards of $300. I had a bunch of lesser know players which I sold, I remember moving a Johnny Bower for like $30
As someone who worked on some sketch cards for Best of Hockey, I think it's a cool idea for all sports sets, not just hockey sets, to include some type of sketch insert. It would give collectors an opportunity to see the artists' renditions of their favorite players. I've seen some amazing sketch cards just from the Best of Hockey release alone and I think it would be a nice idea for other sets to adopt the same thing.
Those are some great sketches above!
I was trying to keep track of them all when they first came out. I agree, I believe there were supposed to be 65 cards, all 1/1s, in the set. However, I seem to remember finding pictures of alot more then 65 cards being made.
People were trying to get INSANE money when they were first found in 08-09 Masterpieces. Upper Deck didn't even reveal they were going to be included. I remember people were putting them up online for $1000+. I think most of them ended up selling for under $100. I only remember 1 Gretzky that sold for over $400...

I just want to add mine to the show, I opened 1 box when the product first came out :

[Image: udmasterpiecesartistsketchgretzky.jpg]

jrosales, I think you know I'm in the same boat...I also worked on this set, and am excited to see more sports sketch cards popping up. I hope it really catches on. I love to see how much variety there is in the sketch cards, from quick sketches to detailed renderings that took longer, black and white to full color, many different mediums...it seems that each artist that worked on the set is quite different, which is cool to see.
(03-24-2013, 01:24 PM)bradu Wrote: [ -> ]jrosales, I think you know I'm in the same boat...I also worked on this set, and am excited to see more sports sketch cards popping up. I hope it really catches on. I love to see how much variety there is in the sketch cards, from quick sketches to detailed renderings that took longer, black and white to full color, many different mediums...it seems that each artist that worked on the set is quite different, which is cool to see.
Yea, I just recently got into the whole sketch card thing over the past year and, in that time, I noticed that they have been around for several years in various sports sets. It seems that they're somewhat popular and, so long as the artwork is at least decent, it seems that collectors do in fact appreciate them.

My favorite thing about sketch cards, as I stated before, is the fact that we get to see the artists' renditions of the players in their particular styles. I really like that.
now that these have been out for awhile, I'm curious...has anyone else been enjoying the sketch cards or started collecting them?
Pages: 1 2