Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Certain cards that just have that aura about them!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Man fellas... There are just certain cards that have such an aura to them even to the casual collector! Cards like the 86 Fleer Jordan, Bird/Magic RC, Chrome Kobe RC, Exquisite James, and a few others. There's just something so special about owning a truly iconic card that can't really be described! It's like owning a piece of history or Americana!!! What card/cards do you own that just make u shake your head in amazement sometimes???

Mine is a pretty typical one, the Jordan Fleer RC, but I can't help it lol! There's just something SO magical & special about that card! I've been collecting since the 90's and I just remember that card being at #1 on the hotlist for what seemed like forever! For the longest time I only ever seen pictures of that card! It was once booked at 1500 for a raw copy right after his 1999 retirement, which to a teenager at the time was just impossible to ever come up with lol!

Now all these years later I finally have one & even though I've owned it for a few years now... Every time I look at it, it just brings back so many great memories of the days when I would literally DREAM of owning one!!!! LOL... I remember wanting the 96-97 Decade of Excellence at least just because it looked like the Jordan RC, wasn't a counterfeit card, and I could PRETEND in my dreams what it would be like to own the real thing..... Simply amazing card the original Jordan RC is! Perfect picture, perfect colors, and just perfect everything!

So what cards did u guys dream of owning & now own that still amaze u???
I just grabbed the kobe chrome rc from the bay. I have four kobe autos and the chrome rc is jewel to my collection. It is the kobe rc to have. The ex2000 is more aesthetically pleasing but the chrome is the king.
Does it have the aura because of the player and price tag on it...or because it is a really cool looking card...??? I mean come on, the Jordan Fleer...its just too plain and simple to simply go wow over it...the Kobe I would buy more into it...but there are some cards out there that are just amazing looking cards with a way too low price tag because of the player...For instance...Elite in my opinion puts out some beautiful cards with low s/n as well...but because some of the players are ok, or even superstars they don't book too much...except of course if it is either Durant or Lebron...etc...personally whenever I look at this National Treasures Isiah Thomas card...I just go wow...even though there is no value because of the low s/n...I look at it and go wow!!! The card is amazing and the patch is beautiful....and I'm not even an Isiah Thomas fan...go figure...LOL!!! Personally, refractors are still the most amazing and coolest cards ever made in the hobby...everytime I see one, no matter the player...there is always something about those cards that just make me go wow!!!
[Image: NationalTreasuresIsiahThomasPatch.jpg]

My bad bro...misunderstood your thread...now I know what you meant...it has an aura because because of that...key point...owning a truly ICONIC CARD....meaning those among other factors do come into play...thought you only meant the card itself having a certain aura because of how awesome it is in itself...I stand corrected...LOL!!! Have a great weekend...to all!!!!
1980-81 topps Magic/Bird/Irving . not just the fact that its a high dollar rookie, but the fact that its a 3 of the biggest names ever in the history of the NBA. i crave owning one.
I have got a BGS graded 86 Fleer Jordan. I also have the Bird Magic Erving ungraded. Both of those cards always put a smile on my face. A goal of mine is to pick up a graded Magic Bird RC sometime this year.

I just purchased a big card (for me) off of the Bay that will make this list. I am nervous as the scans were a little blurry, but it is graded so unless the case was tampered I am hoping I don't have too much to worry about. I will post scans when I receive it.
84 Star MJ #101

Growing up you never saw this card. It booked higher than the Fleer but you just felt like it didn't exist. It's MJs true RCand it was and still is awesome!
(03-24-2013, 06:23 PM)geddon81 Wrote: [ -> ]1980-81 topps Magic/Bird/Irving . not just the fact that its a high dollar rookie, but the fact that its a 3 of the biggest names ever in the history of the NBA. i crave owning one.
Definitely not easy, at least for a decent one. I just finally added one to my 10000+ card Bird collection a few weeks ago, and could only do that because it was graded low (PSA 6). Nevertheless still feels great to have in the PC!
(03-25-2013, 07:45 AM)forthebirds Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely not easy, at least for a decent one. I just finally added one to my 10000+ card Bird collection a few weeks ago, and could only do that because it was graded low (PSA 6). Nevertheless still feels great to have in the PC!
Not only a card with a certain "aura" but perhaps one of the finest sports cards in the hobby. I would also say it is hands down the most undervalued card across all major sports. I know MJ is king of the hobby and always will be but this card should be right there with the 86-87 Fleer. There are less, its more condition sensitive and its the undisputed RC of both Bird AND Magic!! Those 2 were as if not more instrumental to the emergence of the NBA as MJ.

I was hunting a PSA 9 but never found one that was lights out for the $1200 they run. Settled for a beauty of an 8 and paid $200. I mean come now.

I agree with you guys completely on the Bird/Magic! Amazing that it's so low priced still considering how important that card is! You can get a PSA 9/ BVG 9 for what? 1200-1500? So basically it's the equivalent of a PSA9/BGS9 Jordan RC! A must buy if you can afford it!
(03-25-2013, 06:22 AM)user_3n5kp Wrote: [ -> ]84 Star MJ #101

Growing up you never saw this card. It booked higher than the Fleer but you just felt like it didn't exist. It's MJs true RCand it was and still is awesome!
Agreed!!!! The Star is definitely in the convo of cards with that "aura" about them! I think we may be the same age bro because I totally understand what u mean about how you always use to see pics of it & how it was even more expensive then the Fleer....... BUT WE NEVER SEEN IT!!!!!! So elusive & rare!!!
(03-25-2013, 09:03 AM)bengu Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you guys completely on the Bird/Magic! Amazing that it's so low priced still considering how important that card is! You can get a PSA 9/ BVG 9 for what? 1200-1500? So basically it's the equivalent of a PSA9/BGS9 Jordan RC! A must buy if you can afford it!

Agreed!!!! The Star is definitely in the convo of cards with that "aura" about them! I think we may be the same age bro because I totally understand what u mean about how you always use to see pics of it & how it was even more expensive then the Fleer....... BUT WE NEVER SEEN IT!!!!!! So elusive & rare!!!
I'm 32 and finally got it last year. I think there is so much potential in that card. I remember buying a 'Nique Denver Police All Star back in maybe 93 just to have a Star card in my collection. I worked at a card shop from when I was 10-15 and NEVER saw another Star come through the store.
Pages: 1 2