Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Hockey Card Day in America/Canada
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that it's been a week, (or 2 weeks in Canada), since "Hockey Card Day", I'd like to hear your stories about what your LCS did, (or did not do), what promotions you took advantage of, etc. so we can see how similar or different our areas were & have 1 forum where all the stories & experiences can be told.

For me, in Long Island NY, my LCS had free raffles from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm with prizes ranging from a signed John Tavares puck, to a box of 11-12 SP Authentic. He gave out the free "Hockey Card Day" packs & if you bought something, even for a penny, you got a bonus "16th" card, which for the US was Jonathan Quick. He had 1x only deep discounted deals, such as boxes of 19 blaster packs of 08-09 UD Series 2 for $20 & boxes of 11-12 Donruss for $38, (I'm not sure about listing prices on these boards but since they were only 1x only deals, I don't see the harm. I'll remove them if there's any problem though). He also had the NHL Network on the entire time in the shop & offered discounted Rangers & Islanders jersey cards in a $5, (players like Tavares), & $10, (players like Messier), bin. All in all, it was a really fun day. I wish I could've stayed the entire time, but my wife & 18 month old obviously had other ideas!

Let's hear your stories now...oh and if anyone's reading this, I still need card #2, (Alex Ovechkin), and #8 (Patrick Kane), to complete my US set. I have plenty of Lundqvists, Modanos, Thomas & Malkins to trade for them...or you could just send them to me!
Sounds like a lot of fun. Here's what the LCS here did.
NOTHING!!!!!

I was upset as last year 2 of the card shops around here had the cards but I guess this year they decided not to participate. So hopefully I will get a few packs mailed to me, as I contacted UD and they replied and said they would send some packs.
My dad had never heard of it before, so we decided to kill the day together.
First stop - London Drugs:
Looked exactly the same as always. Went to the CS desk and asked about the jumbo cards. She radioed a supervisor who told her where they were. I got an Iginla, my dad got Schwartz.

Second stop - Toys'R'Us: Everyone knew it was hockey card day and was having fun with it. Cards were left in stacks on just about every surface imaginable. We probably could have walked around and gathered a complete set each but we were honest; he took an Orr and I took a Sakic.

Third stop - London Drugs (different location): Had to go to the CS desk. Conversation went:
Me: Hi, are you participating in National Hockey Card Day?
CS: Umm...yes. We have these big cards.
Me: Oh, Ok, cool.
*awkward silence*
CS: Umm, it's supposed to be with purchase...
Me: I don't think so.
CS: Ok well here (hands me Sakic and looks at my dad) you want one too? (hands him Schwartz)
Me: I actually have this one. Can I possibly get a Crosby?
CS: Yeah sure (takes back Sakic) Thats Sidney? (hands me Crosby)
Me: Thanks (we start to leave)
CS: (to my dad) Sir, would you rather have Bobby Orr? He has to be better than whoever you've got there.
So we walked out with the set finishing Crosby and an extra Orr.

Then we hit the hobby shops. First we went to the lesser of the two. Dead. He gave us our packs and I bought a pack of SPGU to get the extra Gretzky/Lemieux card. The owner, who's usually kind of grumpy, was the nicest and most talkative I've ever seen him. I almost think we were the first customers he'd had all day.

Then we went to the good store. The place was PACKED. They weren't doing much extra special, but they didn't need to. You could barely move in there. We got our packs and my dad suddenly bought a box of SPGU and we got our second extra card. Then we went home.

We had a full set -1 and a full set +1 of the jumbos. I've been able to complete two regular sets in trade, though I'm still looking for the other 4 jumbos to go with the Orr. Once I have both sets complete, I'll be looking to trade for an American set.