Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Converting PSA graded to BVG graded..Do they grade the same?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have some PSA graded cards from 1933 Goudey, but would like to complete the set with all BVG. Do these grades normally translate the same? Say I have a PSA 7, will it generally grade a BVG 7?
(02-12-2013, 09:02 AM)lshields Wrote: [ -> ]I have some PSA graded cards from 1933 Goudey, but would like to complete the set with all BVG. Do these grades normally translate the same? Say I have a PSA 7, will it generally grade a BVG 7?
I wouldn't think so. Case in point, I've crossed some PSA 10's and got BGS 9's and a BVG 9. And a former member on here crossed some PSA 9's and got BGS 8.5's & BGS 8's.
Thanks
From past experience its safe to say psa is a little easier when they grade cards, beckett is pretty strict but they also give a better honest grade imo. I notice a lot with psa they will give 10s to cards that clearly are off center.
I've had decent luck with a few PSA to BVG cards although not higher end but rarer. One was a 1966 Venezuelan NL ERA Leaders that was a PSA 3.5 and received a BVG 4. The other was a 1971 Topps Greatest Moments Yastrzemski that was a PSA 6 and received a BVG 6.5.

I have about 50 '66 Venezuelans I will need to cross over to BVG one day, which will provide a pretty good vintage crossover pool, but not anytime soon.
(02-13-2013, 12:20 AM)hiiimitalian989 Wrote: [ -> ]I notice a lot with psa they will give 10s to cards that clearly are off center.
I know what you mean. I call them PSA 10 oc's.
(02-13-2013, 12:29 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: [ -> ]I know what you mean. I call them PSA 10 oc's.
Glad to see that others notice as well. I just purchased a 2008 Topps Sterling White PSA 10 Frank Robinson but centering is about 65/35. Didn't matter much though, needed for my set and only cost $8.
My question to all that have crossed over PSA to BGS, are you cracking the cases or are they? I ask because if youre trying to make the other company look bad you could pretty easily under grade the card so it gives the impression that the other company is over grading. Know whatta mean?
(04-27-2014, 01:12 AM)cardariffic Wrote: [ -> ]My question to all that have crossed over PSA to BGS, are you cracking the cases or are they? I ask because if youre trying to make the other company look bad you could pretty easily under grade the card so it gives the impression that the other company is over grading. Know whatta mean?
I don't know what you mean. But, when I subbed I didn't crack the PSA cases. I haven't subbed in a while, though. Towards the end, all I was subbing was PSA for crossover.
(04-27-2014, 01:12 AM)cardariffic Wrote: [ -> ]My question to all that have crossed over PSA to BGS, are you cracking the cases or are they? I ask because if youre trying to make the other company look bad you could pretty easily under grade the card so it gives the impression that the other company is over grading. Know whatta mean?
This is a question I've asked others before as well. If you're going to cross, I'd recommend cracking out of the case first. Bottom line is, these are companies in business to make money. Not saying they do this as I have no proof but it's definitely something to consider in the realm of possibility. I think it's better to remove any potential bias right from the get go.
Pages: 1 2