Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Venting.... Opinions valued
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Agree with the shipping time and the cards in hand.
As far as MINT condition goes, the default is NrMT..I usually mention this and the trader changes them, globally if they can..some do not know how..but it usually is not an issue..
BUT
just recently, I mentioned that all the cards were MINT, including ones newer and should have defaulted to the NRMT when added, which means he set them to MINT..I was informed that I should mind my own business as he was sick of everyone telling him to change his condition of the cards..
So, I did the next logical thing..I canceled the trade and moved on..no sense starting a urination contest over someone's idea of condition..
Word to all of that... Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and opinions... I have definitely learned from my one time mistake, and also appreciate the support with my theories on shipping times and the whole "mint" conspiracy... Very awesome community we have here.
I had a similar experience a few months ago with a trader. Because I was under the 25 total trades in my profile the other trader waited for me to ship his cards and receive his cards before he shipped my cards to me. I waited for ever and pm him several times before he finally shipped my cards. I also vented feeling that he wasn't treating me with the same respect. To make a long story short I finally received my cards missing a card or two from the trade, "gave up asking him for them, even though he promised to ship them to me". I guess we have all been in your boat and you just have to chaulk it up to a lesson learned. You will eventually figure out the good traders from the bad. I have had a very good experince trading cards here, but you will eventually have a bump in the road at some point, just shake it off and move on.
(02-11-2013, 09:31 PM)Burmalocity Wrote: [ -> ]Another thing that really chaps my rear end and I see this one often, is all the traders out there who list every single item they have as "mint", I strongly feel this is done as an attempt to try to gain a book value edge in a trade. It comes off as real shady in my opinion. Any card in my ORG listed as Mint is graded as such... No exceptions! I feel that cards shouldn't be listed as mint in somebody's ORG unless graded as such... Am I wrong for feeling this way?
I don't like this either but one point should be made. The default setting like others have stated are at NM-MT(for modern cards anyway) but when Beckett first started organize the default setting was Mint. I had to go trough thousands of cards to change it. And even now If I loaded a card then and add a card now I have to remember to change the condition to NM-MT
Communication is probably the best policy when it comes to trading, aside from being honest. People shouldn't leave others hanging and should always communicate what's going on and what's expected/requested BEFORE the trade is finalized. Waiting for a trade to come before sending out your end without that having been discussed first is bad business. NOTHING makes one trader more important/better than the next person on here and all should have respect for each other in the trading process.

In regards to the condition of the card, true, there are probably a lot still marked as MINT but some people post frequently enough that they can go in a couple of times a day and pick at it, doing a couple of pages at a time to fix the issue instead of just giving an excuse and letting it be.

It's been harped on already, but people shouldn't be trading what's not in hand. They really have no idea what the condition of the card is as a scan will not show surface issues for many cards. It's just bad business.

One last thing to note, always leave appropriate feedback. Don't just default to giving all five stars just to keep the peace or in fear of retaliation. Others need to be aware of other problem traders as well and I don't think this is something that's done often enough.
(02-11-2013, 09:31 PM)Burmalocity Wrote: [ -> ]I made a recent trade 2 weeks ago and as usual I sent my item out within 2 business days and the other trader has yet to ship my items, which in turn is effecting another huge deal I made.

I value all of your opinions, and just sharing my honest feelings here.
I'm really, really new to trading, so I have zero expertise, but I'm an avid eBay-er, and what really get's me steamed is someone that sells cards they don't have 'in hand'
In your case ... why would you set up a trade with a card you don't own at THAT time? There's too much that can go wrong ... the person you're waiting on could be a deadbeat trader (like you're experiencing), the card could come in damaged, the card could get lost in the mail, etc, etc.
Just wondering out loud.
Mitch
That's very frustrating when someone doesn't hold up their end in any deal! Secondly, I only have a few cards in my Organize, it's my PC of Dirk Hayhurst, I set them all at mint. I have no intention of trading any of these, so I'm not doing it to rip anybody off.
As I mentioned in my previous posts, I had received a lot of items and whe. I went to recently traded I just filled the whole page as ready to trade... It was an absent minded thing to do, and I learned from it. I just need to be more careful, it was a "rookie mistake" so to speak.

Anyways, I received my cards today from the trader. They never marked the item as shipped or replied to my messages, so I was fearing the worst, but they are here now and my other deal has been saved. Phew! I can breathe a sigh of relief now!

(02-12-2013, 05:54 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: [ -> ]That's very frustrating when someone doesn't hold up their end in any deal! Secondly, I only have a few cards in my Organize, it's my PC of Dirk Hayhurst, I set them all at mint. I have no intention of trading any of these, so I'm not doing it to rip anybody off.
(02-12-2013, 02:09 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: [ -> ]Agree with the shipping time and the cards in hand.
As far as MINT condition goes, the default is NrMT..I usually mention this and the trader changes them, globally if they can..some do not know how..but it usually is not an issue..
BUT
just recently, I mentioned that all the cards were MINT, including ones newer and should have defaulted to the NRMT when added, which means he set them to MINT..I was informed that I should mind my own business as he was sick of everyone telling him to change his condition of the cards..
So, I did the next logical thing..I canceled the trade and moved on..no sense starting a urination contest over someone's idea of condition..
I had a very similar experience with a trader last year (that I mentioned earlier in the thread). Hope he's reading this.
(02-11-2013, 11:14 PM)the cardboard fan Wrote: [ -> ]It is easy to self grade a card as raw Mint if you know what you are looking for. That is a BGS 9.

It would be completely different if people were trying to say something would grade out a Gem Mint but to inspect centering, edges, corners, surface and the factors that effect each is not hard.
Maybe. But I have doubts when I see a guy (not talking about anyone in particular) who has 5,000 or 10,000 or more cards ALL listed as "mint." I might feel differently if I saw 1 out of every 5 or 10 cards in the guys org marked as "mint" and others marked as "nrmt." Even then, I'd be turned off if someone were trying to trade $5 Verlander cards as $7.50 "mint" cards. I'd just as soon get the same card from someone else for $5. Maybe, mayyybeee, if it's a high-value card, I'd take seriously someone's opinion that their card is "mint," and if I paid/traded for a "mint" card, you can be sure I'd hold him to that.
Just a suggestion, but someone suggested to me that if you click on All Items in your ORG. and after is loads just select all items. Then adjust condition of cards to NrMt. Thats what I did all of your cards in your ORG will change to NrMt. Problem solved.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5