Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Some Ebay sellers are ridiculous (a rant)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So for the past 3-4 months I've been watching a lot on Ebay as it includes the final 2011 Topps Update Trevor Plouffe I need to finish the rainbow (excluding 1/1).

The lot includes 6 of the Black /60 (also including Beltre and four others), which they're selling for 60% of BV, plus shipping on a BIN.

Three months ago they had the lot listed as Hope Diamond, so I contacted them and asked if it was Hope Diamond or Black and if it was Black if they'd break up the lot, which has received zero interest, and sell the Plouffe on its own. They never replied to my question about selling the Plouffe, but they did correctly change their listing.

Today, as the listing was ending for the fourth time since I've seen it listed, I emailed again to ask about buying the Plouffe on its own. This time they replied back with an offer of BV plus shipping.

I understand people wanting to make as much as possible, but really? BV for a common player after you've received zero interest on in what's likely more than 6 months? And on top of that, not willing to cut a deal for the person who actually corrected your listing for you in the first place?

This is probably nothing to rant about as it's their card to do with what they please, but it's frustrating on many levels.

So, if anyone has an extra Black Plouffe sitting around, LMK and let's try to make a deal.
Anytime I've ever worked on some sort of a set, I find that locating the commons is much more difficult than locating the star players so at times will pay more when I come across it because the normal availability just isn't there. If you're not willing to pay for the lot, I would recommend obviously just keeping your eye out elsewhere but also keep watching this lot to see if it sells and get in touch with the buyer (if one comes along) and try to get it then.
very good advice...and i truly appreciate it...as a seller, i often get offers for that i feel may be too low, and it is my prerogative as to whether or not i want to accept it...but i noticed that a lot of posters are really disgruntled about that fact and their posts are quite frankly rude. as a seller, i also get upset at ridiculous offers, so i need to check my ego at the door too...so i really appreciated your recommendation and patience.

(02-02-2013, 01:21 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: [ -> ]Anytime I've ever worked on some sort of a set, I find that locating the commons is much more difficult than locating the star players so at times will pay more when I come across it because the normal availability just isn't there. If you're not willing to pay for the lot, I would recommend obviously just keeping your eye out elsewhere but also keep watching this lot to see if it sells and get in touch with the buyer (if one comes along) and try to get it then.
Did you counter? You can't let things get personal with negotiating. I've dealt with people in all kinds of business from as small as baseball cards to my job in the O&G industry, you would be surprised how much some people are willing to come down from their initial offer. Also since you asked him about the Plouffe and I'm sure its the only one on ebay, you are now negotiating from a point of weakness. He knows you need the card.
I did send a counter, but haven't heard back. I'm guessing now that it's listed for another 30 days it'll be at least that long before I hear back from him.
This is why I LOVE the "best offer" feature. I wish more sellers used it! I grew up going to shows and shops and haggling over prices and have missed that.
I'm assuming you're the one that made the offer on the lot on January 10. Otherwise your claim of zero interest is totally false.
My mistake. One bid since I sent my original message to them on Oct. 6. So yeah, you're right and I'm totally wrong.
Wow this just got awquard
(02-03-2013, 02:05 AM)swjrp10 Wrote: [ -> ]Wow this just got awquard
I've noticed more and more of that happening lately. One poster in particular seems to really enjoy stirring the pot on everyone and showing off how smart and successful he is in life.
Pages: 1 2