Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 2012-13 Panini Contenders Box Break
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went to the LCS to make a few trades and somehow walked out with a box of Contenders. Now the owner told me they had been pretty lucky so far and someone had just pulled a Brow rookie auto out of there yesterday so it was a really hot case. Guess I missed out on that.

Hits:
Rookie Remembrance: Iverson, Vince Carter, Jason Kidd, Tyreke Evans
Legendary Contenders: Elvin Hayes, Doug Collins, Hal Greer
Statistical Contenders: Mike Conley, Roy Hibbert
Playoff Contenders: Kobe Bryant, Tom Heinsohn, John Stockton

Rookie Autos:
Tyshawn Taylor, Jordan Hamilton, and Bernard James
[Image: img034_zpsefb00671.jpg]

Redemption: David Lee Substantial Signatures
[Image: img032_zpsd3545ef7.jpg]

Rookie Die Cuts: Lillard and Jeremy Lamb
[Image: img035_zpse0744f7e.jpg]

The Lillard will probably go into the PC but everything else FT/FS. I have not redeemed the Lee yet but might tomorrow.

Guess it could have been worse but was hoping for a better auto.
Not a terrible break. Those ROY cards are sweet and at least you hit the Lillard.
Yeah the Lillard actually saved the whole box. Not sure any of the inserts will carry any value but I guess it could have been way worse.
I am pretty down on this product to be honest. I wasn't planning on touching it but I had some cash in the register at the LCS so I figured I was half way there monetarily so I just grabbed a box. With that being said, I love the look of the ROY Contenders. THey remind me of some of the Crown Royale inserts from 2-3 yrs ago.

Marchand - Yeah I will not be buying another box. Not particularly fond of how the cards look and most of the breaks I have seen have low level rookie autos coming out of it. I do like the die cuts but that's not enough to make me chase them. The more I think about it the more I realize that most bball products I have seen so far have been below average. I did enjoy the Threads box I ripped earlier but that's about it.

I am not sure what else is coming out this year but hopefully something a little better than this one.
For this year I liked Threads and loved Prizm. FOr Threads I really liked the wood autos. For Prizm I am a little biased. I like the product because I hit the Kobe /25 auto and I hit one of the Kobe Anthology auto relics /8. Hoops was boring(it usually is), Certified just had too many parallels and very condition-sensitive cards, and Limited I haven't touched. I wish Topps would still release Finest for basketball. THat would be a fun open.
Nice david lee redemption
I love the look of the prizm cards I just had a bad break. I think they will do well to replace old topps chrome cards as they look way better. I also loved the wood autos for Threads, but pulling a Harrison Barnes auto surely helped sway my opinion on that product. Obviously this is a gamble any way you slice it but this product was just a big let down to me.

All I have to do now is decide on what to save up for to buy in the future. Feel like we should be taking advantage of the double loaded rookies.

That was my thought. It is made easier with the sets that have non-auto rookies in it...Hoops, Prestige, Certified and Prizm. Threads and Contenders is auto rooks. As a set collector I like the non-auto rookies. For someone who has no children and tends to have extra time on his hands the auto rookies are good too...but with a product like Threads it wasn't worth buying more wax to work on the set, especially since I had terrible luck with the Signage cards(Zach Randolph Redemption twice and Dolph Freaking Schayes).
(01-04-2013, 06:21 AM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: [ -> ]That was my thought. It is made easier with the sets that have non-auto rookies in it...Hoops, Prestige, Certified and Prizm. Threads and Contenders is auto rooks. As a set collector I like the non-auto rookies. For someone who has no children and tends to have extra time on his hands the auto rookies are good too...but with a product like Threads it wasn't worth buying more wax to work on the set, especially since I had terrible luck with the Signage cards(Zach Randolph Redemption twice and Dolph Freaking Schayes).
Yeah, but at least he could walk into a restaurant and be like, "Do you know who I am? I'm Dolph Freaking Schayes!"

Also, ndevoy, nice breaks!

I'd appreciate a look for the Lillard Contenders if it's FT. I do have a spare Prizm RC I'd be happy to trade for it. Let me know, thanks! RJ