Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Last mail-day of 2012! Best Jordan addition of the year!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rarely do I post mail-days. but great way to end the year! Been looking forever for this one!
[Image: 001.jpg]
Which set and year are those from?
Don't think i've seen them before.....
sweet card oddity!!!!!
(01-01-2013, 10:11 PM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: [ -> ]Which set and year are those from?
Don't think i've seen them before.....
They are from the 1988-89 Spanish Gigantes Chicle Chewing Gum Wrappers! (set of 20).
(01-04-2013, 12:22 PM)odditycards Wrote: [ -> ]They are from the 1988-89 Spanish Gigantes Chicle Chewing Gum Wrappers! (set of 20).
Great MJ. Don't think I have ever seen that one before. Congrats on the pick up.
very cool thanks for sharing!
Had to dig this thread up. I was debating abandoning MJ to start collecting another rplayer or to continue my 50 greatest RC collection but started to take note of some of these early MJ odd balls.

Question for the OP, what is the full back story behind that card? It looks like none of the major grading companies are slabbing it. How does it stack up population compared to other foreign issues like the 1985-86 and 1986-87 Merchante.
Well...I"m not sure about other grading companies, but I don't think I've seen one slabbed. I've seen 4 total of the stickers. For the Merchante stuff, no Beckett grading on them. Just a quick list of some other Int'l beckett graded numbers:
1987 Panini Sticker (106)
1988 Fournier NBA Estrellas Stickers (18)
1988 Panini Spanish (6/4/11)
1989 CAO Muflon (0)
1989 Panini Spanish (2/6)

I do see some Merchante PSA on eBay...but never seen the Chicle stickers.

I have definitely seen more of the Merchante versions/variations than the Chicle. Just like the Chicle Metalica, these were included around the gum/wrappers and were 99% of the time pealed immediately (and with no album to put them in.) At least the Merchante were meant to be "glued" into an album, so there are much more of them around...especially those that have been cut/removed from the albums. My experience is that anything "food" related to cards/stickers is extremely hard to find, because once either the promotion is over or the "food" expires and thrown out, there goes the card/sticker as well. And also damage from the "food" itself. Rarely do they make it into the secondary markets (unlike Hoops McDonald's packs). They are commonly tossed in the trash and never recovered after the "food" promotion.
Thanks for the info. Absolutely awesome card.