Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Ebay question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I just won an auction on Ebay. The seller had the card buy it now for $1.99. I bought it and paid for it instantly. A few minutes later I got a message from the seller saying that they meant to put it up for $11.99 and that he was sorry but he was refunding my payment and relisting that item (which he has already done).

In the 700+ auctions I have won on Ebay, I have never been in this situation. What should I do? Should I just leave neg feedback and forget it, or do I need to report this? Or should I just let it slide as an honest mistake and not do anything?
Let me put it to you this way, any good business man/woman, would have honored the deal, it was their mistake, they should own up to it, that is how you keep customers coming back as well as getting new customers.

With that being said, Leave him a negative, as he has already violated the rules of eBay by not honoring the deal, make sure you clearly explain what happened in the feedback area.
Before giving negative feedback, see if you can come to a compromise. See if the seller will give it up at a price in the middle. Or perhaps the seller will have some sort of deal or extra to give you if you pay the 11.99 price. If they are completely unreceptive to a deal, then you can say you tried to be understanding, and at that point negative feedback would be acceptable.
(12-25-2012, 10:37 PM)hercules21 Wrote: [ -> ]Before giving negative feedback, see if you can come to a compromise. See if the seller will give it up at a price in the middle. Or perhaps the seller will have some sort of deal or extra to give you if you pay the 11.99 price. If they are completely unreceptive to a deal, then you can say you tried to be understanding, and at that point negative feedback would be acceptable.
Why should he have to try and compromise with the Seller, It is the Sellers fault for listing it wrong (if in fact that is what he did),

when you list something for sale, you are given the opportunity to preview your listing to make sure it is correct and to edit anything that is wrong, that is 2 opportunities to make sure the listing is right to begin with, as well as an opportunity to remove the listing after the seller posted it, are you not?

I know as a seller, I double check all of my listings before actually posting them, as well as checking them again, after I posted them.
(12-25-2012, 10:37 PM)hercules21 Wrote: [ -> ]Before giving negative feedback, see if you can come to a compromise. See if the seller will give it up at a price in the middle. Or perhaps the seller will have some sort of deal or extra to give you if you pay the 11.99 price. If they are completely unreceptive to a deal, then you can say you tried to be understanding, and at that point negative feedback would be acceptable.

I agree. As someone who buys and sells on the bay. If I made the mistake I hope the buyer would understand but also as a seller trying to maintain good feedback I would try to work something out with them or just give them the card for 1.99 especially if it wasn't a major loss and I was selling a large amount on ebay.
The seller is wrong period. They can only honor the auction, if not negative feedback is warranted.
Thats your card. Get it. Its a law binding contract. Its yours now not his.
Yeah I buy and sell in ebay and if I made that mistake I would honor it.imo you are given ample time to check and recheck the listing particulars.
he made a mistake. leave it be. oh no, let's hurt this guy's ability to sell on ebay, cost him future earnings, hurt his rep etc etc etc

jeez

I sell and buy on eBay. I've had a situation where I purchased an item at the last second and didn't realize that the card was damaged (which was stated in the listing). I didn't know this because the item had less than 1min before ending. I spoke to the seller and he understood and promptly canceled the transaction.

I had another person tell me a story about how they didn't mean to sell an item I won on open auction w/o a reserve. I had already paid for the item and everything. I decided to not make it a big deal and let the seller off the hook. Bottom line is that mistakes can happen regardless to how many times you check over something.

In your situation, the seller didn't try to work it out with you. He just refunded your money and relisted it. Regardless to how you felt he chose to not honor the agreement which shows he doesn't care about the repercussions. If he genuinely cared about his rep or his actions, he would've handled it differently. I'd personally leave negative feedback. Customer service goes a long way IMO.
Pages: 1 2 3