Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: BVG 8.5 Mantle (Old Case): Worth regrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I'm thinking about buying a 1968 Topps Mantle graded BVG 8.5. The card was graded when BVG still used subgrades. The subs are 9, 9, 8.5, and 8. What do you think the odds are that the card would receive a BVG 9 grade under the new system?
i collect tons of Mantles... post a pic
--if dont know how.. use Photobucket...copy/paste the image code here.
8.5 to a 9 is a ton of $$$
your talking about a $500 card to a $1500 card
Collectors do go for the gold label ones.. my opinion is to leave as is and take your $$ and buy more vintage cards

That low 8 your not going to get a 9...its possible it could go down.
A re-grade of that magnitude would require an inspection with a 10x loupe at a minimum, if you know what to look for under magnification that would lead you to believe it should grade higher. If you were planning to break it out of the case yourself, there's potential risk of damage there too. I would leave it as it is.
(09-21-2012, 05:40 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: [ -> ]A re-grade of that magnitude would require an inspection with a 10x loupe at a minimum, if you know what to look for under magnification that would lead you to believe it should grade higher. If you were planning to break it out of the case yourself, there's potential risk of damage there too. I would leave it as it is.
+1 Id leave it as it is.
Yes from experience on a lesser card leave it in the BVG case.