Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Is this an actual Nolan auto or an autopen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I posted this in another thread and it was brought to my attention that the sig isnt smooth.The Nolan looks to be shaky but the Ryan is smooth.Looking for some expert advice here and I know this is the place to find it.I would like to have it slabbed either through authentication or grading(if they do items this size) just to have it protected.

[Image: NolanAuto.jpg]
It's autopen, I saw another example just like it. He only signs TTM if you pay a fee.

[Image: ScannedImage121160001.jpg]
I have 2 of the exact same thing. One is in Blue ink and 1 is in Black ink. I'm sure I got them at a show near the ballpark during the time he was playing but don't remember the specifics.
I sent a card in for him to sign when I was young(early 90's) and got this in return.Gave it to my grandmother who was a huge Ryan fan and when she passed it was in some of the cards she left to me.So it has some sentimental value to it and if its real I would like to slab it but if its not then I will just put it up.
I think it is an auto pen.I saved the image Vols-1 posted and then minimized it so I could compare the two and they are almost identical.They are almost a perfect match.
what is 'autopen'?
(09-09-2012, 06:41 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: [ -> ]what is 'autopen'?
It's basically an autograph machine that movie stars, athletes, politicians, etc. use to sign mail/cards/pictures.
(09-09-2012, 06:41 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: [ -> ]what is 'autopen'?
http://www.damilic.com/autopen
The card you have is an auto pen. I have another auto pen that is similar. The easiest way to tell auto pen signatures is to look at the beginning and end of of the first and last name. Most signatures will tail off at the end due to the signee using less pressure as they finish the auto, but with auto pens the machine uses even pressure all the way through the signature and makes a distinct end mark. The best way that I can describe it is that the beginning and end of the signature will kind of have a small stutter in it. Not sure if that is the best way to describe it but I tried.

**** After doing some more research I have found some other ways for you to tell that the card you possess is an auto pen. Google "Nolan Ryan Auto Pen" and you will find other instances of your card. As someone posted above, the only way you get an authentic auto through the mail is if you pay for it through his foundation.
Personally I think that is wrong.Why lead someone to believe they have an actual autograph?If you dont want to sign then send them a pic or something.I also think its wrong to charge for an autograph.If not for the fans these sports stars and celebs wouldnt be living the life they are and they could at least take some time to sign a few autos every now and again.But again just my opinion.
Many of them consider the money as a donation then forwarded to a charitable cause.
Pages: 1 2