Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Best way to get in to hockey card coollecting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have always been a baseball card collector but I have always wanted to collect hockey cards so today I bought the 21st Edition of Beckett Hockey Cards Price Guide to get an idea of what is out there. Do I try to collect players or should I buy a hobby box and see what I find?

Thanks,

Joe
Collectiong is all about what YOU like. everybody collects a bit different. I personally collect joe Vitale as a Player collection and all other Pittsburgh Penguins cards. Others just collect team, a player, rc, sets, etc. Pick something that interests you and enjoy. thhis is a great personal site with lots of wonderful traders!

WELCOME!
I would not get into card collecting starting by looking at a price guide. You'll see that beckett (and probably all of them for that matter) are off. The only thing the price guides seem to be good for are for trade value.

I got into card collecting again buy buying 250lbs of cards from the salvation army and going through them, sorting them out, finding out what i like. As i learned stuff about the hobby and things along the way, I basically find a set that i like either:

A) by price can (can i afford to finish this set someday)
b) is it available (can i find it in stores/online to actually finish a set?)
c) Do i like the way it looks. (I'm vein)

That's pretty much how i do it. Although, once again my style has changed. I used to not care about 90's cards and sets from them due to value, but Phil has shown me the value in collecting cool stuff from the 90's and I've re explored those salvation army boxes and started trying to finish up those sets. You'll see in other posts and on ebay that it all depends on who wants what on any given day. I've got 2 PC of players only and i've seen base cards go for double what short print cards go for. It's so off the charts out there that its really what you feel comfortable paying for. Good luck and welcome to the hockey card world. If you want to start collecting a set, may i suggest 2009-10 Upper Deck Champ's? I would go balls to the wall on that set. I mean, It has nothing to do with the fact that i am trying to collect that set too and would love to trade all the cards i need from you for it....Wink
question for you...what was your baseball card collection based on ?
psersonal players, card value, specific teams ????
it all depends on what you want out of it...
good luck, let us know what you decide...
(07-22-2012, 09:26 AM)margag02 Wrote: [ -> ]question for you...what was your baseball card collection based on ?
psersonal players, card value, specific teams ????
it all depends on what you want out of it...
good luck, let us know what you decide...
100% agree with this

I collect a team that I love and a few random players on the side, as well as a few sets too as i love set building
I predominantly bought boxes or individual packs of Topps and Bowman. I did collect Eric Chavez though. I think I am going to collect Islanders cards and I may eventually choose a player. I like they excitement of tearing open card packs but I've learned that it's a waste of money. I'd love to collect Tavares cards but I'd bet his cards are already priced high.