Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Why grade a 1/1?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is there any reason to grade a 1/1? I ask because I currently have my eye on an ebay auction of Russell Wilson 1/1 from Leaf Draft, and the guy selling it had it graded and it came back a BGS 9. Now I'm looking atp utting an offer for this card and man, I can't stop thinking about how ugly a 9 looks and it is making me question whether or not I even want it. Made me wonder, why would you want to grade a 1/1? It's already the only card like it, why would you want someone to point out all of its imperfections? Just seems like a waste of money to me.

Second question, If I were to purchase the card I would want to crack it out of the holder...is that something that's easy to do without damaging the card?
Simple answer third party authentication and then preservation.

I agree on the ugly look of a 9 or less grade. I would prefer just the blue Authentic label.
To protect it.

It's a trail and error type of deal when breaking them out.
Once you learn how to, its very easy.
(i cut off a corner and wedge it open)
(06-16-2012, 04:42 PM)BigBadBootyDaddy Wrote: [ -> ]Second question, If I were to purchase the card I would want to crack it out of the holder...is that something that's easy to do without damaging the card?
it is easy to do.... if you know what you are doing. That being said, unless you have a jig saw of some sort, I would not try breaking it out.
since when are 9s a bad graade lol? MINT condition from any year is a good grade in my book. Like Favre3mvp said, it's going to be in Mint condition forever. Think about that before you crack the case
I understand the desire to protect and authenticate, but doesn't Beckett offer slabbing and authentication without grading? Probably not going to risk breaking it out, but damn I really wish they didn't have it graded.
It's easy. Place the slab on it's side on a firm surface. (I usually do it in the garage). Hit each corner at the top (away from the card) with a hammer. This chips the edge then you can pull the two sides apart. I've done at least 50 times and have never damaged a card.
(06-16-2012, 04:57 PM)dabears 1985 Wrote: [ -> ]since when are 9s a bad graade lol? MINT condition from any year is a good grade in my book. Like Favre3mvp said, it's going to be in Mint condition forever. Think about that before you crack the case
It's not that it's a bad grade, I would just rather have a 1/1 without someone telling me what its imperfections are. I guess my standards are too high.
I grade mine just for protection
I consider a BGS 8 a good grade lol.
Pages: 1 2 3