Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: My luckiest Goodwill find
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I apologize as this isn't a card post but I thought as fellow baseball fans you guys would enjoy this. I was waiting for the LCS owner to get back to his shop so I decided to stop by a Goodwill a couple of blocks away. I collect signed sports and political books so I always check out their books section. I was pretty excited when I came across this for only $1.50 (30% off the already low $1.99 price, ha).

[Image: CalsignedBookCover.jpg]

[Image: CalsignedBook.jpg]

I know his books aren't as valuable as his cards but it's still awesome to have a Ripken auto in my collection. I showed the LCS owner and told him he should be late more often, ha. Thanks for taking a look.
great story, thats a great auto!
Nice grab. Bet you could sell that on eBay for a lot more than what you paid for it. I'd keep it myself.
(05-01-2012, 04:35 PM)zeprock Wrote: [ -> ]Nice grab. Bet you could sell that on eBay for a lot more than what you paid for it. I'd keep it myself.
Yea, I plan on keeping it as well. This is my first Ripken auto and probably my only one unless I'm lucky enough to pull one from a pack.
nice pickup. a lot of people probably overlooked that book.
I would get that looked at and authenticated to see if that is actually signed. It could be a facsimile sig.
Looks legit to me. I've bought some non-sports author signed books and i've never heard of them using facsimile sigs. Usually publishers send out a few signed copies to top bookstores as a reward; or the author does an in-store signing and signs a few extra copies for the book store. It would be highly unusual for the publisher to attach a "signed copy" sticker to a fax auto. And while anybody could fake an auto and slap on a sticker, it seems highly unlikely considering that someone [likely inadvertently] donated it to the goodwill.

In any event, sweet find!
Wow, that's a great find! Congrats!
(05-01-2012, 05:21 PM)HeyFitzy Wrote: [ -> ]I would get that looked at and authenticated to see if that is actually signed. It could be a facsimile sig.
Yea, I thought the same thing when I first saw it so I looked up similar autos and looked for signs of facsimile/autopen and didn't see any. Looks like legit Sharpie marks on the backside and all. Plus the "Signed Copy" sticker eased my mind too. Goodwill is notorious for overlooking signed books so I don't put it past them, ha. But yea, I had the same thoughts you had.
Sweet Find! Ripken is one of my favorite players and I too only have one auto of him. Nice Luck you got there!
Pages: 1 2