Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Grading and Trading, I keep getting screwed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When grading your (vintage) cards for a trade... remember, the person you are trading with isn't just an internet persona nor a mailing address, we are PEOPLE!!!!

Here is a little guide that is super straight forward with pictures at every step so you can get a much better grip on the actual grade of your cards (unless you really know what you are doing or have Pro graded cards to judge from)

Yes it says baseball, doesn't matter... all sports cards get graded the same.

http://www.deanscards.com/grade-baseball-cards.aspx they grade tough and should get you on track

I have twice been sent cards with pen ink on the front side of a valuable card. Once graded a 7 and the other a 6... REALLY!!!!

The last card I got was quite valuable (over $100 with all 4 corners rounded (not sharp)and one corner slightly bent (usually from a low height fall) and is slightly discoloured (white borders no longer white after 30 years) and graded at a 7.

Vintage cards that are graded 7 look like they just came outta the waxpack people and all 4 corners look sharp unless very closely inspected!!!!! You gotta really stare at a 7 to find a flaw other than a slight centering issue. I know, I have lots of pro graded cards.

If you don't want to part with your cards and feel they are that valuable that you must double or more your BV's then keep em or inform the other person you are cranking your BV cuz it's more valuable to you, however, NOT More valuable. If this is done from mistakes... understandable, if from lack of experience... go practice on someone else

I have had many great trades on Beckett, but the ones that really counted to me (valuable cards) I got mostly had. If I do use beckett again, I will never ship a card out without 1st viewing scans of the intended traders

EDIT: I have been resolved, I still will not disclose any names but I can say my most immediate matter was handled and very professional like. I will leave this thread up as I think the grading guide is most beneficial and will hopefully limit the amount of situations like my own

Thank-You
Sorry to hear you feel that way Tony. I have had a couple great trades with you and hope to have a couple more in the future. Hope you stay with us and only trade with those you feel comfortable with. I have not had one issue trading on Beckett the short time I have been here (Shout out to all the people I have traded with!!). Everyone seems really nice on the Hockey side of it. I hope one or two bad trades do not spoil the hobby for you. Best of luck with your decsion!
Mike... you rawk man... Sorry this has nothing to do with you man and you were always spot on every trade. Everyone has been super nice. Just got let down is all. What should have been one of my collection show pieces turned out to be a common lemon. I will get over it. Was more than likely a mistake on the other behalf. I expect too much maybe
I flipped out too on the poor guy and do feel bad.

EDIT: I have done several trades with Mike (mtmayer4) all vintage cards and this dude can grade. Both trades the vintage cards were not pro graded and with cards graded at 7's and 8's
Tony.

I am sorry that you have been let down this far. We have all seen some great traders leave the boards due to this exact reason, and I hope it does not happen again. You and I have never traded, but I can assure that I am one of the people that takes great pride in this hobby, and looks over the cards before I send them out. I can also attest for many other traders on the Hockey Boards, and I hope that the issue is not with a well established member.

A note to everyone to please check your cards before sending, or even adding to your Org., for flaws and other inherent issues. It will make trading easier, and will only improve everyone's experience here on Beckett. Best wishes!

Randi
(04-24-2012, 03:27 PM)TonySmart Wrote: [ -> ]When grading your (vintage) cards for a trade... remember, the person you are trading with isn't just an internet persona nor a mailing address, we are PEOPLE!!!!

Here is a little guide that is super straight forward with pictures at every step so you can get a much better grip on the actual grade of your cards (unless you really know what you are doing or have Pro graded cards to judge from)

Yes it says baseball, doesn't matter... all sports cards get graded the same.

http://www.deanscards.com/grade-baseball-cards.aspx they grade tough and should get you on track

I have twice been sent cards with pen ink on the front side of a valuable card. Once graded a 7 and the other a 6... REALLY!!!!

The last card I got was quite valuable (over $100 with all 4 corners rounded (not sharp)and one corner slightly bent (usually from a low height fall) and is slightly discoloured (white borders no longer white after 30 years) and graded at a 7.

Vintage cards that are graded 7 look like they just came outta the waxpack people and all 4 corners look sharp unless very closely inspected!!!!! You gotta really stare at a 7 to find a flaw other than a slight centering issue. I know, I have lots of pro graded cards.

If you don't want to part with your cards and feel they are that valuable that you must double or more your BV's then keep em or inform the other person you are cranking your BV cuz it's more valuable to you, however, NOT More valuable. If this is done from mistakes... understandable, if from lack of experience... go practice on someone else

I have had many great trades on Beckett, but the ones that really counted to me (valuable cards) I got mostly had. If I do use beckett again, I will never ship a card out without 1st viewing scans of the intended traders

Thank-You
Hey Tony, I understand your frustration. I just got a Mario Lemieux card that looks like somebody ran a wire brush over.
During that same week I traded a 1971 Jaques Plante that I accurately described and took zoom scans of a top corner that had a small pinhole (undoubtedly from a thumb tack). The trader still wanted the card and thanked me for the detailed scans. I just felt a lot better knowing that the other party was well aware of the imperfection.
Scanning only takes a minute and can resolve an issue before it can actually become one. Hang in there, the hobby is just to much fun to walk away from. Good luck in your future trades.....
(04-24-2012, 06:18 PM)rayeates Wrote: [ -> ]Tony.

I am sorry that you have been let down this far. We have all seen some great traders leave the boards due to this exact reason, and I hope it does not happen again. You and I have never traded, but I can assure that I am one of the people that takes great pride in this hobby, and looks over the cards before I send them out. I can also attest for many other traders on the Hockey Boards, and I hope that the issue is not with a well established member.

A note to everyone to please check your cards before sending, or even adding to your Org., for flaws and other inherent issues. It will make trading easier, and will only improve everyone's experience here on Beckett. Best wishes!

Randi
Thank-You, it is certainly appreciated. I have had 95% good trades without question. It is the cards I really wanted with more value that I got fed on. Not every one either, but a few key ones that I will end up just purchasing rather than take any more risks. I only collect vintage and did box breaks only for the purpose of having traders. That will stop too.

(04-24-2012, 06:27 PM)cards2trade Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Tony, I understand your frustration. I just got a Mario Lemieux card that looks like somebody ran a wire brush over.
During that same week I traded a 1971 Jaques Plante that I accurately described and took zoom scans of a top corner that had a small pinhole (undoubtedly from a thumb tack). The trader still wanted the card and thanked me for the detailed scans. I just felt a lot better knowing that the other party was well aware of the imperfection.
Scanning only takes a minute and can resolve an issue before it can actually become one. Hang in there, the hobby is just to much fun to walk away from. Good luck in your future trades.....
Thank-You, for the most part people have been really good. Great trades, and honest as you were with the Plante card. I hope I am not misleading and people think I just had a miserable time with Beckett. Just a burns that really counted
i hear ya man, i bought a 62-63 parkie from a dealer here on beckett stating it was in ex-nr mt condition
received it and it was vg at best...hence the reason im kinda stand-offish with trades as ive been burnt
here on my first transaction. i kinda feel bad to cause im sure for instance the guys replying in these threads are honest but im having a tough time trusting someones integrity.
(04-24-2012, 07:50 PM)705-janveaux Wrote: [ -> ]i hear ya man, i bought a 62-63 parkie from a dealer here on beckett stating it was in ex-nr mt condition
received it and it was vg at best...hence the reason im kinda stand-offish with trades as ive been burnt
here on my first transaction. i kinda feel bad to cause im sure for instance the guys replying in these threads are honest but im having a tough time trusting someones integrity.
It does make things tougher for sure... I'm sure it doesn't help you out much when you see a thread like this. I just thought it crutial that this is addressed. Mine actually was my favourite player as a child and his RC. I totally will have to buy one now. I think I just might buy it graded to make sure. If you are into buying vintage... I have had nothing but success so far with Burbank Sports Cards that you can find on Beckett.

[Image: Whatnearmintmeans.jpg]

This is just to help a bit further... If you read this ^^^^ this is why the BV jumps so high when you hit a vintage card graded 7 or higher... not because you have one and think it would be nice to get the big bux.
I rarely trade away vintage because I do not want the grade/condition of the card to disappoint the other trader. I have hundreds of 70's and 80's OPC doubles but it just isn't worth trading them. When I trade for these cards I always make it known that I do not want cards with marks, creases or that are badly centered. Other than that, I do not mind a soft corner or two.
All I gotta say is that Dean's grading system isn't all that tough... lol
Pages: 1 2