Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Vintage Collectors & Modern Cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm curious to hear what if any modern cards some of you vintage collectors like.

After I wasted my money in the 80's on overproduced cards, I made up my mind that I'd focus strictly on vintage cards, mostly post-war.

A couple of years ago I ran across some relic cards and was dead set against cutting up vintage uniforms and putting the pieces into cards. Then I saw a video of Babe Ruth's daughter at a Donruss Babe jersey cutting ceremony, saying that her dad would have loved the whole idea.

I thought about that and soon ran across a 2001 Topps Tribute Game Worn Relic of Bill Dickey for $10 at my LCS and there was no way I could pass on this beautifully engineered card with a great vintage gray wool uniform swatch.

I've now made it a longer term goal to own a bat or uniform relic card of every available older HOFer. Plus it gives me more to aim for in my Yastrzemski collection. One of my favorite acquisitions is a Topps Triple Threads Banks/Bat, Clemente/Uniform, Yaz/Bat combination relic card. Next in my sight, a Jimmie Foxx Topps Sterling Quad Bat Relic.

Thanks for sharing your comments.
As with me. I have lost almost all interest in modern cards except for Vintage Player cards and reprints.

I enjoyed the '90s for the most part because of innovations in card making. They were still overprinted but contained some interest. Then Roids came along and Killed what was left of real Baseball.

There are still some nice '80s cards but I have a hard time forcing myself past about 1975 and a lot of that era was poorly printed, so I do single cards now or small lots I can look through.

We will probably see this current collecting bubble burst soon. The Player quality isn't there and no one really wants anything except Autos and Game Used. The drawback here is there is not enough interest in So-So players and the cost of Highend cards has reached the breaking point.

Lol, I'm happy collecting Vintage and still reading the Backs of cards...Mel
(04-11-2012, 08:06 PM)radarblip Wrote: [ -> ]As with me. I have lost almost all interest in modern cards except for Vintage Player cards and reprints.

I enjoyed the '90s for the most part because of innovations in card making. They were still overprinted but contained some interest. Then Roids came along and Killed what was left of real Baseball.

There are still some nice '80s cards but I have a hard time forcing myself past about 1975 and a lot of that era was poorly printed, so I do single cards now or small lots I can look through.

We will probably see this current collecting bubble burst soon. The Player quality isn't there and no one really wants anything except Autos and Game Used. The drawback here is there is not enough interest in So-So players and the cost of Highend cards has reached the breaking point.

Lol, I'm happy collecting Vintage and still reading the Backs of cards...Mel
I'm with you . . . I can't put a vintage card away until I've read the back. '55 Bowman Eddie Waitkus probably has to be the best card back reading ever. I can't believe I missed this one over the course of 40+ years until it was pointed out to me recently.
(04-11-2012, 09:38 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with you . . . I can't put a vintage card away until I've read the back. '55 Bowman Eddie Waitkus probably has to be the best card back reading ever. I can't believe I missed this one over the course of 40+ years until it was pointed out to me recently.
I just read the back of this card. I think you're right about being the best card back. Nice story.

I'm mainly a football collector, but I'm drawn to baseball vintage cards because it reminds me of my childhood collecting. The cards I could never have then, are slowly coming into my collection now. I agree with radarblip, the bubble will burst soon. It seems like everyone is getting fed up with the modern crap they are putting out now. Especially with the high prices. I love history and older things, and there's nothing like holding a nice (or even not so nice) vintage card.
Same here. I love GU cards of HOFers. And most tend to be affordable, too. Autographs are even better, but most are way out of my price range.
That being said, I'd still rather buy vintage than anything else. Especially with my 58 set getting closer to finished by the month.
i just thought i would let you know that i have never been shot by a deranged girl, but i do agree with your collecting mind-set. I say the older the card the better. I would take a 2 dollar Kaline over a 30 dollar Jeter any day.