Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: What to Grade... Opinions please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have never got a card graded and was going to send out a few to have them graded... trying to determine what I should send out... I was thinking of getting these graded...

both bart star and peyton manning in this pic...
[Image: DSC_0338.jpg]

this one isnt football... but still... the one on the left with gold sig (#ed to 100)
[Image: DSC_0344.jpg]

what do you send out to get graded?
and how do you pick out what gets graded and what doesn't get graded?
any input is greatly appreciated!
thanks all!
and what happens if I send these cards in magnetic holders as opposed to a card saver 1 and/or will a top loader work?
This is how I look at grading,

First- What is your reason for grading? Are you looking for protection/display, or just looking to increase the value of the card for resale later?

Second- You need to CLOSELY inspect the cards for imperfections, those thick Supreme's and Five Star's tend to grade poorly, and thus usually don't grade well. The press pass one should do OK since it is thin with a white boarder. Give us some better pics of the potential graders and we can see if they are worth it, make sure they are close up and in focus.

So tell us the answer to both considerations, then we can give you better advice, hope this helps.
I was thinkin about both resale value in the future and protection until that time comes... Do people really pay the premium for high graded cards?... After pulling those cards out and looking, there are some slight imperfections with the thicker cards... even though they went right from pack to holder at the LCS... damnit... however... the Dale card seems to be PERFECT... here is a better pic...

[Image: DSC_0004.jpg]

sorry to post dale stuff in the football forum... but I did start out with football... haha
To answer your question, yes people for sure pay a premium for higher graded cards. Usually 9.5's overall will get you anywhere from 1.25-3x the raw value depending on the sensitivity of the card, 10s can go much higher but are rare. A 9.0 will get you slightly more than raw value, but not too much, unless the card is very sensitive like a Five Star or something. 8.5 is the same as raw condition for the most part. Keep in mind this holds true for modern cards, vintage is a whole different story, but still holds true that better condition equals higher value.

Looking at the Dale it definitely has some surface scratches which would kill the condition of the card, so getting it graded would most likely be not worth it if you are looking for resale value later on.
those scratches actually are not on the card... I didnt even notice them until I looked at this post again... I think it might be something with my camera... because I am sitting here looking at it with a magnifying glass and dont see any scratches... literally NONE
Get that Dale in a slab now!! I agree that it's not going to grade high, so you could set a minimum grade and then "authenticate" in case it doesn't meet the minimum. That card should never see any more air in its lifetime...cover that baby up!!!
(03-31-2012, 05:44 PM)donbickle707 Wrote: [ -> ]those scratches actually are not on the card... I didnt even notice them until I looked at this post again... I think it might be something with my camera... because I am sitting here looking at it with a magnifying glass and dont see any scratches... literally NONE
If you are sure there are no scratches then grade it, also take RW's advice and put a minimum grade of 8.5 on there. That way they will grade the auto(should be a 10) and Authenticate the card.
Just wanted to come back and say that I'm in love with that Dale auto. I really am.

Must have one for myself, now. NOW!!!
definately not the starr five star has serious problems with chipping....
aight... I will use the dale as my "Test Card" for grading... thx for all your help!
Pages: 1 2