Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 1964 Topps Giants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Was thinking about putting this set together in PSA 8 or better, just because they look cool and it seems like something that I could complete this year except maybe the Mantle. Does anyone know why these are so cheap? Over produced?
Too big, hard to store is my guess. The photography is beautiful on them though.
(03-02-2012, 12:47 PM)beatles guy Wrote: [ -> ]Too big, hard to store is my guess. The photography is beautiful on them though.
For their size, I am really surprised at how many are available in mint condition. And I agree on the photography, that's another reasons why I am considering putting the set together. It would make a great display.
Pretty cool set. Good luck to you!
I completed the set about ten years ago. I agree with the comments about potential overproduction and size being reasons for finding in better condition.

My very first purchase of a '64 Giant was Mickey Mantle at a 1977 card show in NYC for $2.50. I was thirteen and a little hesitant to fork over that kind of cash but a few years ago, I decided to grade that very same Mantle and it came back a BVG 7.5. I think it may be the only card to survive my earlier collecting days with that kind of grade. Mays and Koufax are the two I deliberated over the most, especially since both are SP.
It is a beautiful set. I agree about the size of the cards being an issue and keeping the costs down. That however is one of the reasons I like oversized and oddball cards. I keep mine in a binder with four pocket pages, but they also fit nicely flat in a 300ct box for storage too. Of course if you want them all graded that adds significant storage space.
Scott
I love that set, but haven't taken the plunge. High-grade copies get pricey though, so be prepared to fork over some bucks.
(03-05-2012, 08:42 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: [ -> ]I love that set, but haven't taken the plunge. High-grade copies get pricey though, so be prepared to fork over some bucks.
Yeah I have been keeping an eye on Koufax, Mantle, and Aaron and they all are fetching around $100 for 8's and much higher for 9's. Most of the others are averaging 15 bucks.
(03-05-2012, 05:15 PM)Haze28 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I have been keeping an eye on Koufax, Mantle, and Aaron and they all are fetching around $100 for 8's and much higher for 9's. Most of the others are averaging 15 bucks.
Yup, I was looking to buy the Koufax as a present for my best friend. Still am. Hope we don't bid against each other Sad
(03-06-2012, 07:58 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, I was looking to buy the Koufax as a present for my best friend. Still am. Hope we don't bid against each other Sad
LOL, I'm watching a couple raw ones right now that seem like good prices and are in great shape. May score one of those.
Pages: 1 2