Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Question about Open Tryouts for the minors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all. I've been trying to gather some infomation on "open tryouts" for several minor leage teams but have been unsucessful in where to look or even who to ask.

Basicaly I'm trying to find somewhere in NJ i can go to these events as i've always wanted to see if i'm good enough to get that ultra rare spot on the roster and work my way up. I may be older (32) but i let my actions do the talkin'.

In short, can anyone point me in the direction of said events? That would be fantastic. Thanks!

- Rob
(02-03-2012, 01:53 PM)muz0 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all. I've been trying to gather some infomation on "open tryouts" for several minor leage teams but have been unsucessful in where to look or even who to ask.

Basicaly I'm trying to find somewhere in NJ i can go to these events as i've always wanted to see if i'm good enough to get that ultra rare spot on the roster and work my way up. I may be older (32) but i let my actions do the talkin'.

In short, can anyone point me in the direction of said events? That would be fantastic. Thanks!

- Rob
At 32, this might be your only option:

http://www.dugout.org/dugout/findaleague...e_list.htm

"Being an athlete is similar to a womans life, when your 18 everybody wants a piece of you, when you're 38....(pause)....there's a new prospect to replace you."

At least that's the wisdom I was given.

haha thats a way of putting it. Ok thanks for the link!
You don't try out for a minor league team. It's the MLB parent club that hosts tryouts, drafts, signs players, and designates them for assignment. Every MLB team hosts 1 or 2 open try outs each season (usually at the spring training site during late winter). Google "open tryout" for whatever team you're interested in. No doubt it's beyond a long shot, but I think it would be cool to do it just for the sake of doing it. Good luck!
Btw, I believe 32 is the cut-off, at least for the Tigers open tryout. I could be wrong though.
I'll definatly check it out, thanks!
(02-04-2012, 09:13 AM)4th_and_20 Wrote: [ -> ]At 32, this might be your only option:

http://www.dugout.org/dugout/findaleague...e_list.htm

"Being an athlete is similar to a womans life, when your 18 everybody wants a piece of you, when you're 38....(pause)....there's a new prospect to replace you."

At least that's the wisdom I was given.
Good quote, but I would say this is a little bit more accurate:
"Being an athlete is similar to a womans life, when your 18 everybody wants a piece of you, when you're 28....(pause)....there's a new prospect to replace you."
haha indeed. Thanks for the link, i'll check it out for sure!
Scouted for the Reds for 3 summers 15 years ago under Johnny Almarez. I suggest contacting local universities/high schools because ALL of our tryouts were at local colleges. They usually occurred in Central Texas at the very beginning of the summer/end of school year. Coaches from different parts of the state helped when he set up at other places the rest of the summer. I know because I worked 2-3 camps each year. These camps do not traditionally get set up until later dates, like later April-early May. Also, these camps will be posted on MLB club websites.
No age limit, but must be 16. You will probably run the 60 and throw from deep short (2B, SS, 3B) or RF (all OF) and be asked to stay and hit or asked to go home. I hope this helps.
it sure does. Great thanks!