Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: MJ Exquisite Patch - Why is it going so high?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I can't figure out why this is going so high, the description says the patch has part of the Bulls Logo, would that be it?

Mod Edit (XstreamINsanity): Please only post links to closed auctions, not live ones.

Was that you who asked the question at the bottom? It may be Shill bidding but I guess we will see if/when it gets relisted. There are some crazy Jordan Collectors out there.
It def. looks like shill bidding to me!
Ive seen some crazy sales on Exquisite lately. I cant think they'd all be shilled but the shilling might be having an impact on how much people think these are worth.

Just a few examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-04-Exquisit...1c22654942
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-04-03-04-Ex...41614931c7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOBE-BRYANT-03-0...19cc83cbb8
Crimedawg--I agree on those Kobes, those prices came out of nowhere..
I think I spell fishy...

I hate it when somebody with zero transactions only bid on 1-3 people's auctions... Does not sound legit. I would think a first time ebayer would have numerous bids throughout a few weeks. Not just 6 bids, all on the same card & seller. My opinion, the seller did answer the question he was asked somewhat professional.. but still would not trust him or the people bidding on his cards.

I've had to go up against fishy bidders.. the notorious ones are bidders with average amount of transactions (say 500-1,000).. they throw up a few hundred bids.. knowing they will not win, then bid a few times to up the price.. then retract their bid. Why do people retract so many bids? because they are doing dirty bidding!

I've had 3 retractions in the 4 years I've been buying on ebay. One was because it was a duplicate bid, meaning, I bid on two different auctions for the same card. I won one, therefore I retracted my bid on the 2nd card. the other two, was because after bidding, I realized the auctions were misleading.. got to pay attention to the description and/or write-up. also, if it's an auto.. double check if it's on the Beckett checklist, especially if seller says it's a "buy-back"

MJ - winning bidder = 6 bids, all same card, & did not bid on any other cards.
2nd bidder, which he had a bidding war with... has 15 retractions in last 30 days & 186 in last 6 months... therefore, I label 2nd bidder a crooked ebayer.

1st Kobe listed - think winning bidder is legit, or a friend of the seller.. maybe even the seller's secrete ebay ID.. because bidder only has 10 bids in last 30 days.. only bid once on kobe card.

2nd kobe listed - shill.. ebay ID probably just got opened. Bid on two different seller's cards.. only has 3 bids in last 30 days.

3rd kobe listed - winning bidder is same as 2nd bidder on MJ card. If he won both cards, that would be over $10K.. hard to believe one collector spending that much. But there are some rich people out there. This bidder has 15 retractions in last 30 days & 186 in last 6 months. ** bidder did not pay, card was relisted.. I would be cautious of seller, arteepower (4234)... even though he is a powerseller with thousands of transactions.. he has some questionable auctions... see ebay # 110817438587 there are three similar auctions.. remarks say, "~ PLEASE DO NOT PLACE A BID ON THIS ITEM WILL BE LIST SOON !!~" (Beckett note: even though mentioned auction (110817438587) is still open, there is no card being sold).

This is all my opinion, not facts. I believe most crazy bidders are from either China or Taiwan. I apologize if I offend those collectors on this board that are from those countries. I respect everybody, but I do not respect those that bid just to bid to make the price skyrocket. I hate sellers/bidders that are in cahoots, to stop auctions if cards don't sell for the price they want for. I was watching a Pat Riley UD Black.. bidder stopped the auction, because card was not going to sell for a high price, then he relisted it.. I hate that! but luckily I have another chance of winning this card.. because I lost the first auction & was not online to bid again.

I say we keep an eye on these auctions.. wait for about 5-10 days after close of auction & see if the winning bidder receives the cards and posts feedback on the sellers page... I have done this with a few cards.. mostly, because I wanted to talk to the winning bidder, so I can try to counter offer, what he just paid.. if I wanted the card that bad.
Dang did alot of research on them for usSmile I stay away from arteepower...if you don't know why just do a google search on the name. I can't stand people who try to manipulate the market Sad
(01-30-2012, 12:15 PM)htowntigger Wrote: [ -> ]I can't figure out why this is going so high, the description says the patch has part of the Bulls Logo, would that be it?
shill bidding is very unfair but I am sure it is very hard to prevent i believe it goes on much more than people know being a power seller on ebay who never participates in this, there are many times when I list a card that does not sell for what I have researched it to when I post on auction, so shill bidding is actually very unfair to honest sellers
jpleazme805, I'll allow it unless told otherwise stated by one of the other mods or Beckett admin. I looked at that item just now and the picture is of a Kobe/LeBron item, but the description is for a Tyson Chandler patch card. THIS is why I read descriptions. Smile
And I just looked at all of that person's items, and he has three listings for that card. Same picture, three different listings, all the same serial number (in the description). lol. Do they really think we're stupid? lol.
(01-30-2012, 11:27 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: [ -> ]jpleazme805, I'll allow it unless told otherwise stated by one of the other mods or Beckett admin. I looked at that item just now and the picture is of a Kobe/LeBron item, but the description is for a Tyson Chandler patch card. THIS is why I read descriptions. Smile
And I just looked at all of that person's items, and he has three listings for that card. Same picture, three different listings, all the same serial number (in the description). lol. Do they really think we're stupid? lol.
Xtreme.. thanks. I've seen other sellers that did the same thing or post auctions, with main header as just numbers... always think it's strange. At first, I thought it was an inside deal.. meaning that it's a cardshop that records their local purchases on ebay, when paid via paypal... but still, why not list a card name.. instead of just numbers & random description.

I think collectors that just started in the hobby have to be warned about these type of dealings..

Crimedawg.. didn't think of trying to google the seller's ID... I got to start doing that when I am doing my research. I research every seller that I am going to buy a high dollar card from.. for me, anything over $50 is high dollar.
Pages: 1 2