Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: cheap fun and cool story: 92-93 topps 2 box break
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, short story. There's a small hometown market (not a card shop) in my tiny hometown in Ohio. I went in to pick up some pork for new year's tomorrow and lo and behold the guy who runs it went to school with my brother and loves collecting cards.

Apparently he went to an estate sale and picked up a case of 92-93 topps series two (with the Shaq RCs) for about $5 a box. We busted a few packs together from an open box (pulled an MJ subset and a 'Zo RC) while we chatted. Then he said he was charging $10 a box, so I handed him a $10 and he gave me 2 boxes, saying Merry Christmas as I walked out!

Obviously not a ton to be hit but it's always fun to bust the wax. I actually did pretty well: 4 Shaq RCs, Several 'Zo and Sprewell RCs, 5-6 MJ subsets and a 'Zo gold RC. Also pulled Shaq's beam team card and the MJ beam team card (with Rodman and somebody else).

Everything, including the Jordan Beam Team since that gave me dubs, is FT!
I used to love that set... along with the Hoops & Skybox form that year. I have an unopened box of Skybox 93-94 both series 1 & 2. Been saving them since I picked them up in 99.
cant beat that for $10, i remember being younger and a local gas station had jumbo packs of 93-94 topps, i loved opening those.
Thats pretty cool man! Regardless of the value in the cards, those boxes would be fun to break! It would remind me of busting packs as a kid! Cool find!
Nice old school break.

Plus the fact that you used the word 'dubs' was awesome. It reminded me of collecting Garbage Pail Kids when I was a kid.
I need 2,3,4,5 from Beam Team to complete my set and pretty much any gold parallels.

Please check my Org.
Not a lot of my basketball is in there though.

Thanks
I remember going to my friend's house to hang out & play basketball at our elementary that was a block away.. his mom would give us $5 each to ride our bikes to Longs Drug Store to buy baseball cards.. I'd always go for basketball though.. they had Fleer & Topps Cello packs. I used to love them! Especially, because of the cello only inserts.. forget how much they cost back then, but it was far from expensive.
(01-01-2012, 01:30 AM)jpleazme805 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember going to my friend's house to hang out & play basketball at our elementary that was a block away.. his mom would give us $5 each to ride our bikes to Longs Drug Store to buy baseball cards.. I'd always go for basketball though.. they had Fleer & Topps Cello packs. I used to love them! Especially, because of the cello only inserts.. forget how much they cost back then, but it was far from expensive.
I actually got my much-older brother who used to collect in the 70's (he's 44, I just turned 28) a grocery pack of 3 1979 topps football packs for Christmas. He didn't pull anything huge, a Steve Largent was his best hit, but they had $.20 as the price! They were a lot more than that on ebay trust me.

Incidentally, his collection is ridiculous. He has 5 Walter Payton RCs, 5 Lynn Swann RCs among others and all would grade at least an 8 depending on centering.
Love openeing these as a kid
(01-01-2012, 01:00 AM)maggot Wrote: [ -> ]I need 2,3,4,5 from Beam Team to complete my set and pretty much any gold parallels.

Please check my Org.
Not a lot of my basketball is in there though.

Thanks
didn't see anything I could use, but depending on how many of the golds you need, I'd consider selling a lot (pulled all the beam teams you need except #2). PM me if interested and I'll shoot you a list if the golds I pulled (highlights include 'Zo RC, D. Robinson and Shawn Kemp).