Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Sorry, Your Announcer Sucks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was watching a few games this past weekend scouting for my hockey pool team (and yeah I'll admit to rooting for guys like Boedker and Backlund to pick it up so I could start seeing UP arrows in the Beckett next to my cards) and it confirmed how much my enjoyment of the game depended on the guys calling it. Local announcers and color are supposed to be homers, but the good ones are fun to listen to because they realize they're biased and try to be fair, they educate viewers about the game and its history, and they unpack the nuances of play that a casual fan wouldn't pick up. Also they're just fun to listen to, whether you're a fan of the team or not.

So I've got three questions for you (along with my opinions):

A) Which teams have the best local announcers, excluding your own team?

LA Kings broadcasts are a treat because the TV guys are steady, insightful, and at least when it comes to the Sharks, they're extremely knowledgeable about the opponent. I realize that my team's in the same division as theirs but it's nice to hear Desjardins and Couture pronounced correctly, for example, at a minimum. I've also noticed that watching the Pittsburgh Penguins' TV team makes me feel like I increased my hockey IQ. They're really good at talking about the history of the game between the action.

B) Which teams have the worst local announcers?

There's one team that stands out to me: the Chicago Blackhawks. They're actually my favorite team to watch, bar none, but those announcers are incredibly grating on the ears. I have to turn off the sound sometimes just so that their boorishness doesn't get in the way of my favorite brand of hockey. These guys are like the Joe Buck of hockey in that they suck. But of course Joe Buck sounds like he'd rather be doing almost anything than sitting in a booth calling a game (number one on the list: dozing off on his couch) and the Blackhawks guys sound like they think everything they say is really interesting and funny...so I guess it's not a perfect analogy.

I'll add to the list of subpar broadcasters whoever those guys are that called the CBC games during last year's WCF between the Sharks and the Canucks...very very annoying. It was as if they forgot they're announcers and not cheerleaders.

C) Who's the greatest broadcaster in the game? And does he have a Parkhurst autograph?

If you were to ask me about baseball, for example, Vin Scully of the despised Dodgers is the greatest announcer in the game. I can sit for three hours listening to a 17-3 ballgame between a team I couldn't care less about a team I actively boo, and still be captivated by his storytelling, humor, and analysis. The same goes for my Giants' Jon Miller. I realize that baseball is a turn-based sport with major gaps in the action that require an ability to weave long narratives between pitches and innings whereas hockey is fluid and so there's considerably less opportunity for storytelling. But the Penguins' are able to make their broadcast interesting even when the game itself isn't. I don't know how you measure greatness in hockey announcing but that's got to be one of the big factors. What do you think?
very nice read

there are some great ones and some awful ones
Best in the game.

[Image: langeauto.jpg]
You just got beat like a rented mule!!!!
You obviously never heard John Garrett on Sportsnet Pacific (canucks) biggest homer there is on the air.
(11-21-2011, 04:59 PM)pens1fan Wrote: [ -> ]Best in the game.
I'll be sure to check him out, but who's 2nd best in your opinion?

Also is Lange on the radio or those SportsNet broadcasts I've been watching?

(11-21-2011, 05:30 PM)mattrgoddard Wrote: [ -> ]You obviously never heard John Garrett on Sportsnet Pacific (canucks) biggest homer there is on the air.
Was Garrett one of the guys calling CBC games for the Canucks during the playoffs? They were unbearable.

(11-21-2011, 04:59 PM)pens1fan Wrote: [ -> ]Best in the game.

[Image: langeauto.jpg]
You just got beat like a rented mule!!!!
I happen to agree with Walt on this one...and not just because Im a die-hard Pens Fan:

MIKE LANGE IS KING OF THE ANNOUNCERS!!!
[Image: PC0017.jpg]
[Image: PC0002.jpg]
[Image: 111110038.jpg]

GO PENS!!!
Best radio guy is Peter Maher in Calgary who does Flames games. Best tv dudes IMO, is Jim Hughson along with commentator Craig Simpson on HNIC. Side note, I say the best overall announcer in any sport is Cris Collinsworth in the NFL. He knows the game better than anyone and is not afraid to point out what needs to be said and points out the obvious. Love him.............
(11-21-2011, 06:07 PM)rippinwax Wrote: [ -> ]Best radio guy is Peter Maher in Calgary who does Flames games. Best tv dudes IMO, is Jim Hughson along with commentator Craig Simpson on HNIC. Side note, I say the best overall announcer in any sport is Cris Collinsworth in the NFL.
Cris Collinsworth is a heavyweight, you're right...but he's color. I'd put color commentator Troy Aikman up there as well. They're both two of the greats in my opinion and I wish they'd find someone other than that hack Joe Buck for Aikman. It's amazing how good some of these former players are at analysis...it boggles the mind. As for play-by-play, Al Michaels is the best in football.

Thanks for the tip on those hockey guys...will add them to my checklist.
I also like Buck Martinez for baseball. Maybe I am bias as he does the Blue Jays, but he seems prepared very well for every game and has outstanding insights to players on and off the field. Basketball is not even on my radar or anyones right now....ha ha ha bada bing ...... I wish i could remember who coined the phrase" He beat him like a red headed step child" I think it was Lange, but not sure. That one made me chuckle.
I agree with rippinwax, Buck Martinez does an excellent job with the Jays games.

Worst. I couldn't stand Pierre McGuire When he was with TSN. Some of the things he said were downright stupid.
Pages: 1 2 3