Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Controversy brewing in Dallas, What would You do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While The Rams and The Eagles ranked near the bottom of the league in terms of stopping the run, which had to be kept in mind when considering DeMarco Murray's success over the last two weeks, the Seahawks actually came into Sunday as the NFL's best against opposing ground games, allowing just over 3.1 yards per carry on average.

Murray more than doubled that, averaging 6.3 yards on his 22 rushes, which totaled 139 yard, and four catches for 47 yards.

He is the first Dallas Cowboy with multiple 100-yard rushing efforts in a single season since Julius Jones had three in 2004. He is also the eighth rookie to accomplish the feat, and the only rookie to shatter the franchise most yards rushing record in his first start.

Most of us know about Murray shredding the rams and making history, and his about average game at the eagles, where the cowboys played like clowns and could barely keep the ball. Had the good Cowboys showed up, Murray almost surely would of doubled his 71 yards rushing in the Eagles game also.

However before Murray's brilliant display of his skills dropped jaws everywhere(well at least in dallas), The starting job belong to none other then Felix Jones.

Jones has shown flashes of greatness while being a backup throughout his career since 2008, yet has not been able to make good as a starter. Why this is i dont know, but since he has started this year, all his break out 20+ runs that were trademark of his in years past, are gone. Some in Dallas have questioned his toughness, as he seems injury prone. This remained true this year, with separated shoulder injuries, and most recently a high ankle sprain.

Here is where the Controversy comes in. What do the Cowboys do when felix is healthy? Jason Garrett remains quizzically mysterious about it, and Jerry Jones doesnt offer any tangible statements to work with either.

So i ask my friends here at Beckett, what would you do if you coached the Cowboys, what would you like to see as a fan who has been screaming for a running game for years now?

Myself,even as a long time fan of Felix Jones, I would sadly say it is time to pass the torch. Felix has always been best as a 2nd string man and with his injury history, it would be the best choice to make.

felix would be a good fit in new england IMO... trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick and i think it would a good deal
You need 2 good back in the NFL today. I say you keep him and you have a pretty good rb core.
Jerry Jones has gotten good value on trades with the Detroit Lions...he should send Felix and a 4th for a 7th round pick LOL
In all seriousness, I think 2 backs is a pretty essential thing in today's league. And I don't think that anyone is really any more 'injury-prone' than anyone else until you start seeing the same injury over and over. Having said that, the question put to us was, if we coached what would we do? I'd keep him but continue to start Murray unless I had a reason not to. Murray certainly seems to be getting the job done at this point so I wouldnt feel the need to 'bench' him just because my 'starter' was healthy. Once Felix is healthy again, I would try to use the both of them as I felt the situation on the field called for it.
I am not the type to think what is "hot right now" is the best choice, but considering the alternative (injury-prone Jones imo) then Murray is the way to go, again, imo. Smile
It's the hot guy until he gets hurt or slows down. Felix is a great backup in the new "NFL 2 RB Requirement" playbooks.
I think Felix will become a Kevin Faulk-esque type player, always there and utilized, but never really going to be the feature #1 back.
Felix? Healthy again? Has he ever been healthy? Talented back, just can't take the wear and tear of the NFL. No team would trade for him unless it was a 6th rounder or less.
(11-07-2011, 05:50 PM)Marinocollector Wrote: [ -> ]Felix? Healthy again? Has he ever been healthy? Talented back, just can't take the wear and tear of the NFL. No team would trade for him unless it was a 6th rounder or less.
lol, ya i hear ya. He does fantastic as a breather back, but cant get the engines firing when it comes to starting, its really odd. Everybody who likes felix thought he would take the ball and starting and run with it this year, but it looks like demarco can do much better with the brute of the carries.
(11-07-2011, 05:39 PM)bigtrip18 Wrote: [ -> ]I think Felix will become a Kevin Faulk-esque type player, always there and utilized, but never really going to be the feature #1 back.
Exactly, sure seems that way.
(11-07-2011, 04:15 PM)bdubs3316 Wrote: [ -> ]Jerry Jones has gotten good value on trades with the Detroit Lions...he should send Felix and a 4th for a 7th round pick LOL
We will take stafford for himWink, no more of these roy williams stuff
Pages: 1 2