Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Quick Story about the one I let slip away!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So this is really random but just wanted to share a quick story before my chem class. This of course if in light of there being no NBA season and me being completely basketball deprived since the baseball season is over (I love you NFL but not as much as the NBA and MLB).

A couple years back when the then new 2008-09 Topps Chrome Basketball had came out, I had went to walmart on my break to get a few packs. Anyways, they had one pack left and I got it. The first 2 cards was a base jason kidd and dirk nowitzki. So, not bad as far as base go. The last card as an Orange Chrome Derrick Rose RC. I of course put the card in a penny sleeve and top loader but had I had the ability to look into the future,lol, I don't think I would have let it go on eBay for about 40 bucks which at the time I thought was a pretty good sale.

I new that derrick rose was the second overall pick and would probably be a star but definetly not the next MVP right?! Anyways, now that he is as big as he is, this is definetly the one that I let get away and shouldn't have as I am currently scrounging on eBay attempting to purchase his base rc for probably the same amount of money that I let the orange go for!

How about you guys?! What is the one card that you let get away or either had and let go of to early?
That sucks!!! I also sold a bunch of Rose rookies for a very low price and regret it now!

My story is of one that I let slip away. I have been collecting Jodie Meeks for a really long time now and have always won every 1/1 that has hit Ebay. One night an auction was ending for a 1/1 autograph logotag from Timeless Treasures. There was about 10 minutes left on the auction and I was driving home from work. I was the high bid and put in a max bid. I was willing to pay way more than my max but not many other people were bidding so I figured there was no point in putting in my absolute max. I then hit a spot of town where the reception on my phone was terrible. With one minute left somebody bid over my max so I went to put in my absolute max and of course it was going extremely slow. I hit confirm bid and watched as it sold to somebody else before my bid could register. I was so angry I didn't know what to do. I haven't seen that card since it sold.
Both sad stories! I'll throw mine in the ring as well. This is really the only card I regret getting rid of so early...it wasn't anything super special. One of the first 'big hits' in a basketball pack for me was a Kobe Bryant gold refractor insert from 2000-01 Finest. Die cut, great shape, #'d /100, very cool card. But then the story broke about his woes with women, and I got a bad taste in my mouth about Kobe after that. So I threw it on the 'bay and it sold for about $25 (I think it may have booked around 50 back then). I was under the impression that this story was just going to break Kobe, he'd never play the same, and fall into obscurity. Boy was I wrong.

I still don't particularly care for Kobe (go mavs!), but if nothing else, that card would've been great trade bait! And it books for twice that value now. (sigh) lesson learned I s'pose...
Man you guys think that's bad? I sold a handful of Tom Brady rc for a buck at a garage sale in 2000. Try to sleep at night with that :-(
(11-04-2011, 09:18 AM)cody_allen Wrote: [ -> ]Man you guys think that's bad? I sold a handful of Tom Brady rc for a buck at a garage sale in 2000. Try to sleep at night with that :-(
Yeah, didn't you have like 15+? I read that story on here before. Smile
I traded a SP authentic Kevin Love auto on Beckett for a couple PC items. That same card was selling for around $35 on the bay at the time and was falling. The patch was crazy. I got it as a replacement item from UD. Needless to say that same card was going for over $100 last season.

The other story I had was when my friend had two Griffin auto rookies and I could've got them for $75 total. Something told me to collect as much of his autos as possible, but I didn't listen, lol. I got more stories but I prefer to keep them buried.
There was a Post before last season on who we were gonna collect the following season. I replied I was going to stock up on Griffin since he was healthy and be a good contender for ROY. Instead I concentrated on m PC. I could have made a fortune on that since his cards were very affordable at the time. What an idiot!
Besides trading the Hoops 1992-93 rookie redemption card for around $200 worth of older cards. One was a Reggie Miller RC & Michael Jordan 87 sticker, that was offcentered big time.....

I sold below card for 1/4 of current BV.. should of kept them a little longer.
KEVIN LOVE SPX 08-09 RC AUTO PATCH /25 (#130297637574)
[Image: SPX0809_KEVINLOVE_02-25.jpg]

Scared that I might of sold too fast on an Eric Bledsoe National Treasures patch/auto/25. Sold it for a little over what I paid for the pack, so I wasn't too upset at the time. It was sold to an overseas buyer, but he told me to ship it to an Los Angeles address. He finally left feedback a few days ago after receiving a shipment from LA to overseas. Didn't really want the card & wanted to buy some singles online...
ERIC BLEDSOE - NATIONAL TREASURES 10-11 (SER # 23/25) AUTO RC (#130586604192)
[Image: ERICBLEDSOE_NATIONALTREASURES_23-25.jpg]

Greatest card I let away, wish I could of got more.. card was listed to /5. I was asking for $150... but had to let it go to buy cards I wanted, plus hated the patch, because it was not a real patch, but labeled one by UD.
[Image: SPX0809_KEVINGARNETT_1-5.jpg]
Looks like a real patch to me...what was wrong with it?
(11-04-2011, 09:18 AM)cody_allen Wrote: [ -> ]Man you guys think that's bad? I sold a handful of Tom Brady rc for a buck at a garage sale in 2000. Try to sleep at night with that :-(
Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I have to give it to Mr. Allen here. Losing all those Bradys so quickly would suck majorly especially since alot of his common rc go for 100+
Pages: 1 2