Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Redemptions: Are they needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Because of some of the recent threads, I figured another poll/debate discussion should be made.

Redemptions: Are they needed?

Now, to my knowledge, redemptions started when AU weren't put in packs or when there were giveaways. For instance, some that come to mind, Crash The Game, UD Predictor, Upper Deck USA Follow Your Dreams, etc. In these instances, you received a redemption card (that actually looked like a card, lol) that you could, if you wanted to, trade in (or if you needed the set, complete the set first) to the company for a special giveaway. Well, today it seems it's gotten out of hand.

I forget where I had heard/read it, but I believe someone from one of the big companies said redemptions are made in some cases when one or two or a few people haven't completed their signings while a majority of those needed for that set have. Say a set had only 10 RC AU in the base set and 8 of them had signed, should they not release any of the 10, give redemptions for all 10 (hoping to get the other two signers done by then) or release redemptions only for those who haven't signed?

The attached poll only has options I can think of at the time. If you have a different option (maximum of 10 options per poll) that you think should be up there, let me know and I'll see if I can add it. Feel free to discuss (in a civil manner) your thoughts and experiences on redemptions from any of the companies you've received (or placed) redemptions from?
This is a tough one... I voted depends on product but really it depends on player-time availability.
(11-02-2011, 04:53 PM)taffster74 Wrote: [ -> ]This is a tough one... I voted depends on product but really it depends on player-time availability.
I mean, does it? If the companies weren't asking for 5000+ signatures, I think the players could get this done on a weekend. Smile
Like I said in a previous thread, redemptions aren't really needed. The product shouldn't come out unless the company has ALL of the product. Redemptions IMO should only consist of items such as booklets, Card sheets, balls etc. Sometimes it's not the companies fault that a player will not return the items in an appropriate timeframe, but it is their product they are putting out to make a profit on. So they need to eliminate the hassles that the customer continues to face.
I think the only redemption's should be ones for cards that are already available, so the costumer just has put in the code and the company instantly sends him a card, for cards that are non-standard. These are huge companies you'd think somebody would wise up and say here is what we have available, lets make a master set with what we have, if you don't have whats needed for the card, (auto jersey ect.) than don't put it on your list.
Most of the redemption's I have seen are auto's and as much as I would love to pull an auto, I would love more to able to pull an auto and not have to wait 6 years for it come in. If you can't keep up with the amount of signatures than stop putting so many out, get to back actually thinking of cool designs and cuts of cards instead of just sticking a crappy auto sticker on a generic card.
Well, really it comes down to what panini asked us collector's what we wanted - I do recall a lot people saying more GU, patch and AU's. When you've got some players signing multiple autograph issues from the one product as well as dealing with playing time and everything else that starts to add up. I do think, however, that panini only having players sign when they pass through dallas is stupid.
I voted yes but also think it depends on the product and on the player. If the company is rushing to get the product out on time the company should have not put that player in the set and wait till the next set. For example this seasons crop of rcs when/if the season starts are they going to get them done on time ie on card auto no redemptions as I'm not sure but I don't believe they can sign anything for card companies till the details of the deal is set to end the lockout.
I voted no, because if you can't get the autos in the product than put it in another. If we have to wait a year or 2 just ti get the redemption redeemed than might as well just put it in the newer products so we can pull it. I think it's makes people more angry to wait on a redemption than seeing it in the next product or next year product once it is signed. Especially if people are spending these $$$ on high-end stuff that you have to wait on redemption and not right out of the pack.
well since Panni is all we got for Bball, I say release the product with what is available, then when you do get the autos you were waiting for, you release a high end Season Update with all the ones that were missing before. Make these the, dare I say, "Exquisite" product of the year and have it loaded with good stuff.
No

If you are buying a product you expect that the product delivers what they are promising.

There might be some exception like booklets, items which doesn't fit in a package, etc.

However, AU or GU redemption is 'no go'. Either put them in the package or don't promise that they are available.
With a redemption card, there is also a expire date. Meaning that it's a big risk when buying old series.
Imaging you are pulling a expired MJ Auto redemption card!!!!

BTW, first redemption cards for Basketball was in 1992 when Shaq was a Classic exclusive.
Pages: 1 2 3