Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Serial Numbered and no Serial Number
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Your input / thoughts about this.
If a card company claims they made 250 serial numbered cards and you know there are non-serial numbered of the same card out that are not in their checklist, would it make you feel that maybe they actually made triple or more than they claim? My guess is 750 total. I'm not sure if the dual with Ozzie Smith came out with non-serial numbers also.

[Image: 2003FlairGreatsClassicNumbersDual-Berra.jpg]

[Image: 2003FlairGreatsClassicNumbersDualNSN.jpg]

[Image: 2003FlairGreatsClassicNumbersDual-Berra-1.jpg]
The non serial numbered card could have come from the fleer bankruptcy sale and someone could have put the jersey pieces in the card to make it seem legit. Just a thought.

I also have a troy glaus jersey card that is hand numbered but beckett doesn't state the card is serial numbered in their database.
OR could it be a misprint, that the SN wasnt stamped on that card???? Seems illogical to find one SN and another exactly the same with no SN........ If there were a way to ask flair about it hmmmm guess not .
Like stated above, from my knowledge if it is listed as a serial number and you find unserial numbered ones. They probably came from the bankruptcy case.
(10-26-2011, 02:58 PM)david campos Wrote: [ -> ]The non serial numbered card could have come from the fleer bankruptcy sale and someone could have put the jersey pieces in the card to make it seem legit. Just a thought.

I also have a troy glaus jersey card that is hand numbered but beckett doesn't state the card is serial numbered in their database.
The hand serial numbered was buy backs (if I remember correctly) and was crimped with Fleer logo to make it stand out from the "fakes". Of course not everybody knew about the "crimp" process until much later and a lot of collectors (YES, including myself) ended up paying big money for the fake hand numbered cards. I ended up two Ripken hand numbered cards (#'d to 5) that "John Doe" numbered himself and sold it as Fleer advertised.
non #d are printed up for replacement of damaged ones. if your receive a card and its damaged. you can send back and the company will replace it and use the blank card and #D it to the card you sent back. the replacement cards are not meant for the public or to see the light of day by mlb license agreement. but if you look at all the non #d replacement cards....all out of business.
Or they could be retail, a lot of time Fleer would insert cards that were serial numbered, and the same cards were in retail un-serial numbered.
Here is a scan of the troy glaus I have. There is no crimping on it as far as I can see. I don't think beckett lists this as a buy back but I didn't really look in the database that hard.

[Image: glauslegacybat.jpg]

Not sure why someone would hand number this card though. It is not like he has a huge following and the numbering would increase the sell value on it.