Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Should the Patch/GU match the card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you think a Patch or Jersey piece should match the picture on the card? If a piece of jersey is from the All-Star game, should the picture of the player be from the All-Star game? If the person only played 1 game with a team, but somehow there is a card with a piece of jersey from that game, should the picture only be of the player in that game? Here's a picture I saw will put up that made me ask the question.

2006-07 UD Black Patches 25 #MK Karl Malone

[Image: front_large_2821569.png]

In the above picture, "The Mailman" is in his Utah Jazz jersey but it appears (I could be wrong) that the patch is from when he was with the Los Angeles Lakers. Put your opinion in the poll and your comments below.

Also, if you have any pictures of cards where the players jersey in the picture doesn't match the jersey piece, please share them.

Thank you very much.
I agree, I believe the cards would be much better if the jersey/swatch did match the player/situation. Seems lazy not to be otherwise, or misleading(not legitimate).
I Also agree. I hate getting a card that is designed specifically for the team the player currently plays for but the patch/swatch is from their previous team.
I agree, jersey/patch should match the uniform of the play on the card. If it doesn't, it appears that the card manufacturers are lazy & don't care.

I would like for the jersey to be from the actual date the picture was taken on to produce the card. Then it can actually state "game worn jersey" & have the date it was used. But this is too much work for card companies to do. They just say that the jersey was used in a NBA game.. never says who was the one wearing it... it's a loop hole so the card companies don't get in trouble when they make mistakes or overlook which jersey belongs to what player, and to what card....

Card companies can use jersey's bought at wallmart, target, or wallmart.. & most of us would not even notice that they are store bought & not actually worn by the players... all card companies have to do is wash the uniforms a few times... same as washing dirty money...

(10-25-2011, 03:46 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, jersey/patch should match the uniform of the play on the card. If it doesn't, it appears that the card manufacturers are lazy & don't care.

I would like for the jersey to be from the actual date the picture was taken on to produce the card. Then it can actually state "game worn jersey" & have the date it was used. But this is too much work for card companies to do. They just say that the jersey was used in a NBA game.. never says who was the one wearing it... it's a loop hole so the card companies don't get in trouble when they make mistakes or overlook which jersey belongs to what player, and to what card....

Card companies can use jersey's bought at wallmart, target, or wallmart.. & most of us would not even notice that they are store bought & not actually worn by the players... all card companies have to do is wash the uniforms a few times... same as washing dirty money...
+1

I tend to agree with you... but I couldn't resist buying this Malone patch since it's one of the sickest Malone cards I've seen.

Not bad for $25.
Not only would I prefer the jersey pieces to match the team the player appears for on the card, I would also prefer that the color of the piece would be chosen according to the design and colors of the card. Have you seen th Elite Black Box cards with the black swatches? Looks like there's nothing there. Same with the Rookie swatches in I believe Absolute, red jersey pieces behind a red design (swap with blue or other color parallels as you please) takes away a lot of aesthetic value from the card...
To the people who voted 'Yes, definitely!!!', does that mean you wouldn't like the Malone card in your collection?

I mean, it's still worn by him, and it's still a great looking card.
If I remember correctly card companies used to state when the mem. was worn (not the date, but what team or if it was and All Star game or not). It might be harder for them to do now, because they produce soooooooo much of this stuff. Panini probably gets a lot of the jerseys in bulk from the NBA and the details about when and where gets lost. IDK
Every Upper deck company GU card I have of Kevin Garnett after his trade to the celtics has a swatch of his T-wolves jersey - even 2009-10 stuff released two years after his trade! At least panini and topps made efforts to get the right team jerseys in his GU's for them.
Pages: 1 2