Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: I have been pondering...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If a refractor, parallel, gold, silver, etc... Whatever kind of variation to a base card, then makes it NOT considered a Rookie card, then why do the card companies not take the "rookie card" or "rc" off the card?

Just looking through some stuff, and thought to myself, well what the *&^*?
so player collectors are force to track down them
I wondered this for awhile, but here's how I see it.

A true RC has to be part of the base set. You can short-print it, serial # it, stuff a jersey piece in there, have them sign it, whatever, so long as it's part of the base set.

Parallels mirror the base set but have some difference, the colouring, a serial #, whatever. Other than that one difference, the card is an exact replica, including the printing (team/company logo, name, team name, etc). A rookie card parallel mirrors the True RC, including the printing, which would include the "Rookie" or "RC"
To put it another way, would you have High Gloss YGs not say "Young Guns" on them?
(08-26-2011, 05:15 PM)wickabee Wrote: [ -> ]I wondered this for awhile, but here's how I see it.

A true RC has to be part of the base set. You can short-print it, serial # it, stuff a jersey piece in there, have them sign it, whatever, so long as it's part of the base set.

Parallels mirror the base set but have some difference, the coloring, a serial #, whatever. Other than that one difference, the card is an exact replica, including the printing (team/company logo, name, team name, etc). A rookie card parallel mirrors the True RC, including the printing, which would include the "Rookie" or "RC"
To put it another way, would you have High Gloss YGs not say "Young Guns" on them?
ok, but parallel sets are a set unto their own, correct?

you can't take like 5 regular cards and insert them in to a HG set, and call the set complete, you can't take 5 HG cards and put them in a regular set, and call it a complete set (well you can and buyers would love you for it Smile but I think you understand my meaning here Smile )

So, since the Parallel sets are actually complete sets unto their own, would that not make RC's in those sets considered true Rc's?

IMO, it does since the card is actually a base card in that set, and not an insert card with a whole different card numbering system.

If a parallel set were a base set, you'd be right. As it is it's basically a very large insert set.
Another reason why some parallel/ variations of RC cannot be considered True RC is that they are not widely distributed. Some Parallels are Hobby only and not found in retail version and vice versa.
I must be red-blue-gold-silver colorblind or something because when I see a Certified RC parallel, they ALL look the same to me at first blush. They look great, but indistinguishable, until I actually remind my brain to look out for the different colors because they actually mean something.

So I see your point...
On a semi-related note, I actually hate cards that say "Rookie" on them. "Young Guns" or "Prized Prospects" or something I can deal with, but I like the old-time RCs simply because they look like every other base card in the set.
I still don't think Parallel RC can be considered true RCs. I just see parallel sets as glorified inserts.