Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Liquidating Vintage Collection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am disposing of my husband's baseball card collection (with his permission). He's been collecting since a child (early 60's). What cards should be professionally graded? Where can I find the best explanation of how to determine condition of cards that do not warrant the expense of professional grading? Also, should full sets be sold as full sets or as individual cards (these are mostly mid to late 70's thru 90's.
Here's the link to Beckett's Grading Scale.

http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/vi...ticleId=47

Also, you should keep the complete sets together.
I would not keep the sets together. In the years you mentioned, 90% or more of the cards aren't worth much at all. The few that are (key rookies, etc...) will be worth more in higher grades. Since these cards were so overproduced, the thing that separates a cheap version of a card and an expensive one is its grade. And the difference between a raw card in nm-mt condition and a mint or gem mint graded card is quite a bit in price. My guess is that if just sold as-is in set form, you aren't looking at more than 10-50 per set depending on the year. Whereas if you have a few key rookies in high grade, you will get much much more than that for just one card. It sounds to me like the collection itself isn't going to net you much money, but if the cards are in high grading shape, some of the stars' rookies will make you some money.
The problem with breaking them up is that they will be stuck with a bunch of the cards from the 80's and 90's. Some people will buy the whole set just b/c of a few cards, but no one is going to buy handfuls of commons unless they are practically free.
(08-11-2011, 02:14 PM)_ZENAS_ Wrote: [ -> ]I would not keep the sets together. In the years you mentioned, 90% or more of the cards aren't worth much at all. The few that are (key rookies, etc...) will be worth more in higher grades. Since these cards were so overproduced, the thing that separates a cheap version of a card and an expensive one is its grade. And the difference between a raw card in nm-mt condition and a mint or gem mint graded card is quite a bit in price. My guess is that if just sold as-is in set form, you aren't looking at more than 10-50 per set depending on the year. Whereas if you have a few key rookies in high grade, you will get much much more than that for just one card. It sounds to me like the collection itself isn't going to net you much money, but if the cards are in high grading shape, some of the stars' rookies will make you some money.
So, you are saying I should pull the "good" vintage cards, i.e. Mantle, Musial, Maris, Brock, Robinson, Clemente, Aaron, Mays, etc., good player rookie cards from the sets, and have them graded? For the others, can I expect to sell for at least the low end of Beckett's pricing if they are in good shape - good corners, no creases?
What years are the sets from? There is a big $ difference in sets from the 60's compared to the 80's and 90's
well to be honest, most of the commons you will not get even close to the low end of beckett pricing.
(08-11-2011, 02:14 PM)_ZENAS_ Wrote: [ -> ]I would not keep the sets together. In the years you mentioned, 90% or more of the cards aren't worth much at all. The few that are (key rookies, etc...) will be worth more in higher grades. Since these cards were so overproduced, the thing that separates a cheap version of a card and an expensive one is its grade. And the difference between a raw card in nm-mt condition and a mint or gem mint graded card is quite a bit in price. My guess is that if just sold as-is in set form, you aren't looking at more than 10-50 per set depending on the year. Whereas if you have a few key rookies in high grade, you will get much much more than that for just one card. It sounds to me like the collection itself isn't going to net you much money, but if the cards are in high grading shape, some of the stars' rookies will make you some money.
I think you are assuming that the sets are all from the 80s and 90s. If you have any sets from the 60s or 70s you will get way more than $50 a piece for the sets. It really depends on the sets and the condition of the cards overall as well as the condition of the key cards in the sets. If the key cards are in lesser condition then sell the entire set as a set. If the key cards are in great condition then you will do better pulling them out and selling them separately.
(08-11-2011, 03:13 PM)_ZENAS_ Wrote: [ -> ]well to be honest, most of the commons you will not get even close to the low end of beckett pricing.
That's why I said to keep the sets together! They are liquidating, not selling off the most valuable stuff and keeping the rest.
it all depends on the years and the cards and the players. too many variables and not enough info to really give an accurate description for help.

perhaps going through and listing off what sets there are as a good starting point.

but for the non-set stuff a good start there would be pulling the big players like you mentioned above.

condition is key on almost all of it, really just depends on what you have. if its like 5% 60s cards 5% 70s then like 90% 80s+90s you would be looking at small money (or at least most of the value coming from the older cards depending on what they are)

if you have the means and time to sort through and see what all you have. that would be a good starting point. scans or photos of cards even if you are unsure a lot of us here could point you in the right direction as to what is what
Pages: 1 2