Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 1959 Topps Help Please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to organize my Dodgers cards, would someone be able to tell me which versions of the following cards I have please.

Card #244 comes up on Beckett as Ted Gray not Dick Gray. It also has a Version A GB (Is that Gray Back?)
Card #71 comes up with 2 versions base and a Venezuelan
Card #406 only comes up with one version (think I got that one Big Grin )
Card #441 same as #406

So it would be the first 2 I need help with, thanks!

[Image: 1959Dodgers1.jpg]

[Image: 1959Dodgers2.jpg]
'59 Venenzuelan's have "Impreso en Venezuela" on the back.

"GB" stands for grey back. They also came with white backs, hence the variation. So, #244 is a grey back. I think Ted Gray might be a typo as he retired in '55. Dick Gray made his debut in '58.
Thanks Beatles!! My next question is this, is White the variation and not Gray? So most cards came in gray but not white?
Card numbers 199-286 are the ones with the white/gray back variations with gray backs being less common. Thus, the gray backs could be considered to be the variation.

How much "less common"? I have no idea but I don't think it's anything to write home about.
Thanks Rice, that explains why card 244 is gray, but not 441. Am I missing something here?
(08-07-2011, 03:32 PM)alexs64 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Rice, that explains why card 244 is gray, but not 441. Am I missing something here?
I just noticed that. Let me look a little further.
Yeah, I'm not finding anything anywhere that says a color variation with that card in the number range. I did find a couple of white and gray backs of that card on ebay so I'm not sure what to tell you on that end.
Rice, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! I will just add it. LOL Not much more, you and I can do. LOL