Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: BGS 8s & 8.5s what are your thoughts on these grades?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I submitted 10 cards in the group break this month and received 6 8.5s and 2 8s. For the most part, the corners killed me. Most other subs were 9s & 9.5s. They are PC cards, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on 8 and 8.5 grades.

My other 2 cards were 9.5s. Both were Natty Treasures.
For older cards that's a great grade & for newer I guess that's the worst condition a card should be when you pull it from the pack. At least you know the condition won't get any worse now that they are protected.
even for slightly older cards, I wont buy/trade for a graded 8...maybe not even an 8.5, unless they were of studs from 1980's and earlier when cards were expected to be of poorer quality. If the are autographed cards for the PC, then I'm happy with that, just to get the autograph protected.
Ya I'm typically not a fan of anything lower and a 9, lots of times it also depends on the Population report of each card. Also don't count yourself out on that 9 Bowman Brady, I don't think it's set in stone till he opens and he sees which is which. As I recall I think I had one so-so corner, which is why I am not so sure.
Here are the cards:

2000 Score Scorecard Tom Brady 8.5 - 8.5,8,8.5,8.5
2000 Bowman Tom Brady 8 - 9.5,7.5,9.5,9
2000 Pacific Tom Brady 8.5 - 9.5,8,9.5,9.5
2009 Ultimate Drew Brees 8.5 - 9.5,8.5,9,8.5
2009 Contenders Mark Sanchez 8 - 9.5,8,8,9.5
2007 SP Authentic Drew Brees 8.5 - 9.5,8,9,9.5
2010 Limited Material Monikers Barry Sanders 8.5 - 9.5,8,8.5,9.5
2010 Limited Monikers Adrian Peterson 8.5 - 9.5,8,9,9.5

Subs are centering, corners, edges, surface.

The Sanchez and the AP are the most disappointing. The Sanchez is the worst one ever submitted. I'm ok with the Bradys, but would've loved to see some 9s.
(07-30-2011, 11:26 AM)mattfastiggi Wrote: [ -> ]even for slightly older cards, I wont buy/trade for a graded 8...maybe not even an 8.5, unless they were of studs from 1980's and earlier when cards were expected to be of poorer quality. If the are autographed cards for the PC, then I'm happy with that, just to get the autograph protected.
I agree. My cards aren't old. Most were pulled by me. I just didn't think the corners were that bad on them.
(07-30-2011, 11:28 AM)bostonsports1 Wrote: [ -> ]Ya I'm typically not a fan of anything lower and a 9, lots of times it also depends on the Population report of each card. Also don't count yourself out on that 9 Bowman Brady, I don't think it's set in stone till he opens and he sees which is which. As I recall I think I had one so-so corner, which is why I am not so sure.
We'll see, but the corner grades are pretty consistent with my others. It's like I don't know how the sleeve them and peel them apart trying to put them in. lol
I feel ya brother I got hammered on the corners on my 7 and 7.5 I really want to get a look at them cause I didn't think they were that bad either yet on the 7 the corners hot a 6.5. I'm thinking maybe crack them and resubmit in a few months.
(07-30-2011, 12:11 PM)biglump007 Wrote: [ -> ]I feel ya brother I got hammered on the corners on my 7 and 7.5 I really want to get a look at them cause I didn't think they were that bad either yet on the 7 the corners hot a 6.5. I'm thinking maybe crack them and resubmit in a few months.
I was thinking about that. A .5 bump would knock most up to a 9. I don't want it to backfire though.
I been part good share of grading group breaks over last 6 months and also notice alot of people involed in them dont put minium grade on there cards. What I do is put minium grade of 9 on all my modern cards because anything lower then a 9 in most cases wont help value of card and most cases decrease overall value of card. It something to think about it dont want 8.5 or lower on your cards that way dont have hassle worry about messing up card got lower grade when try crack case to remove it.
(07-30-2011, 04:49 PM)cettin Wrote: [ -> ]I been part good share of grading group breaks over last 6 months and also notice alot of people involed in them dont put minium grade on there cards. What I do is put minium grade of 9 on all my modern cards because anything lower then a 9 in most cases wont help value of card and most cases decrease overall value of card. It something to think about it dont want 8.5 or lower on your cards that way dont have hassle worry about messing up card got lower grade when try crack case to remove it.
I've thought about that. Do they still let you know the grade if it doesn't meet the minimum?
Here is my thing with graded. Yes, it's nice to have your treasures encapsulated/protected in a graded case. But if it is newer product, 2000 and up.....if it isn't 9.5, I won't even have it encapsulated. thats my opinion on grades though. 8s & 8.5s look better on old stuff if ya know what i mean.
Pages: 1 2