Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: contest time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
its contest time, What is tour opinion about nba players playing over seas during the lockout?
best comment wins this card

[Image: 0727011050.jpg]
I love it, it is great for the game and for the leverage that the player's union needs. The NBA has grown as a global sport so much more than any other American sport. Basketball's skyrocketing global popularity all started with the 1992 Barcelona Dream Team.

Now to see the foreign fan base still just as big or bigger after a decade speaks volumes about the overall appeal of the game we all love.
I'm for and against it, but more against it than anything.

I'm for it because if they're playing full games, having team practices and playing with professionals then it keeps them in game ready shape/condition.

I'm against it for quite a few reasons. One is that not every NBA player will be able to get a contract to go over there and play. Mainly the superstars and some stars. That kind of un-evens things here because if there is no 2011-12 season, while the people who didn't go over there could have played at the Y or something, they won't be in the same shape or condition because it wouldn't have been as competitive games, team practices, etc. Another reason why I'm against it is because of something my 5th grade coach said to us players. He didn't want us to play any street ball or any unorganized ball during the season, especially with people who weren't our teammates. The reason was so we didn't pick up bad habits. Bad habits would include playing too rough, playing too fancy, getting injured, etc. I agree with that. What happens when Kobe goes over there, plays for a team where he has to toss up 35 shots a night for them to win, and then he comes back here. He'll probably be used to chucking up that many shots (maybe not, who knows). Another reason why I'm not too big of a fan of the idea is because I think the players should stay together as a union front. If only some can play in Europe but not all, then nobody should. They should all stay together as teams, get memberships at the Ys close to them, practice together as their teams, and meet up 2 or 3 times a week for full scrimmages. Without a coach there, it might actually make them more likely to develop trust with each other and learn how to play with each other on a better level.
LET THEM PLAY! LET THEM PLAY! LET THEM PLAY!!!
I am in Europe so my opinion may be slightly different from the other board members'. Ofcourse I'd like to see some NBA players here. But let me also make clear that they can leave their "I'm a NBA star" attitude at home because the quality of basketball in Europe is much better than most people in the USA appear to be thinking. It's not like any NBA player is going to get a contract just because they're NBA players - honestly, Euroleague is much bigger than that. Barcelona beat Los Angeles last year, for what it's worth.

Whether it's good or not, I suppose depends on what player it is. Any no-name will do no harm to his team if he gets injured playing outside the NBA. Their impact on European basketball will not be that much though. They'll only be hired because of the increased media attention, which means more interest from sponsors. (*cough* deron *cough*)

Any great players (Kobe is flirting with Turkey..) must be crazy or extremely confident they won't get injured. If something happens it'll be a complete mess: team pissed, sponsors pissed, NBA won't be happy either.. I'd love to see him and other stars in Europe, but it would be a very risky decision.

I am about to get my season's pass for my local team (Valencia, Spain) and am hoping for Gasol and Rubio to spend the lockout in Barcelona. Rubio continuing any longer in Europe would not be good for his development though, time to step up to the NBA level - the lockout couldn't come at a worse moment for him. Pau (and Mark?) would just get love from his home people and they'd stay in shape.
My Bobcats beat the Lakers a bunch, so yeah, its not worth a lot.....
(07-27-2011, 12:36 PM)folkertino Wrote: [ -> ]I am in Europe so my opinion may be slightly different from the other board members'. Ofcourse I'd like to see some NBA players here. But let me also make clear that they can leave their "I'm a NBA star" attitude at home because the quality of basketball in Europe is much better than most people in the USA appear to be thinking. It's not like any NBA player is going to get a contract just because they're NBA players - honestly, Euroleague is much bigger than that. Barcelona beat Los Angeles last year, for what it's worth.

Whether it's good or not, I suppose depends on what player it is. Any no-name will do no harm to his team if he gets injured playing outside the NBA. Their impact on European basketball will not be that much though. They'll only be hired because of the increased media attention, which means more interest from sponsors. (*cough* deron *cough*)

Any great players (Kobe is flirting with Turkey..) must be crazy or extremely confident they won't get injured. If something happens it'll be a complete mess: team pissed, sponsors pissed, NBA won't be happy either.. I'd love to see him and other stars in Europe, but it would be a very risky decision.

I am about to get my season's pass for my local team (Valencia, Spain) and am hoping for Gasol and Rubio to spend the lockout in Barcelona. Rubio continuing any longer in Europe would not be good for his development though, time to step up to the NBA level - the lockout couldn't come at a worse moment for him. Pau (and Mark?) would just get love from his home people and they'd stay in shape.
i mean their willing to pay kobe 1 million a month
(07-27-2011, 04:05 PM)southpaugh2002 Wrote: [ -> ]i mean their willing to pay kobe 1 million a month
What would MJ have gotten if he was in the twilight of his career and had that same option?
I think it's great exposure for the players and the NBA. The NBA, NBA teams, and the players will gain a lot more fan base. This will be good because that would mean more people buying NBA licensed products (like sports cards for example).

On the down side to this is that the players will not be 100%, if there is an NBA season, and they could get injured. This happened to the Spurs a few years ago when Manu Ginobili played for Argentina and hurt his ankle. He wasn't the same when the season started and the Spurs suffered because of it.
(07-27-2011, 10:14 AM)southpaugh2002 Wrote: [ -> ]its contest time, What is tour opinion about nba players playing over seas during the lockout?
best comment wins this card

[Image: 0727011050.jpg]
i did a contest on this a few months back and totally forgot about it, ill let go on for 2 more days and then pick a winner. i dont have the stockton but ill find something, sorry guys

Pages: 1 2 3