Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Reason for basketball forums dying...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reason 1) You have to pay to trade now (effects all sports I know)

Main reason: It costs $6.75 for a basketball sub...

But there are far fewer basketball cards listed:

Baseball: 2,321,378
Football: 1,412,957

EVEN Hockey has more: 821,172

With less cards in the database a basketball sub should cost less.

It seems with higher fees and less things free people are leaving which sucks.

Suggestion: lower the basketball sub to $4.95/mo

Bring back free trading & organize

If beckett needs more money they can make more money off ads with more traffic. And switching to my suggestion would bring back more traffic. Facebook is FREE but makes a ton off ads. Why? High traffic.

However, to paying customers I would offer the contest giveaways. Meaning people who don't pay aren't eligible for winning stuff.

Your thoughts?
I dont buy anything off the new site myself, but I'm asking people to post their collections, thats free unless you dont have a scanner. So I understand your point. Thats the reason I havent traded yet on here cause I dislike the fact we have to pay for an organizer. I already knew we have to pay for the OPG but the organizer is weak in my eyes. We can still post our collections and and talk for free, but it seems like thats boring to some. I have a thread started so the more replies we get on these topics the better chance we have of getting more interested again. My 2cents!
i like your suggestions, but i dont think it will ever happen, this hobby we are in isnt a cheap hobby, and i know alot of people dont want to spend extra money on this site, but realistically if you just subscribe to pricing for one sport, its like 1 pack of cards a month, thats not to much to ask, imo.
Subscription prices, to my knowledge, are not based on the number of cards. It's based on licensing fees, development costs, hardware and maintenance costs, and other costs related to the gathering of information of the cards from the manufacturers and pricing from auctions and sales. Because of this, it would take a ridiculous formula, one I wouldn't want to contemplate, to fully determine how much each sport should cost. Also, the prices you quoted $6.75 a month is the discounted price if you get a yearly subscription. Otherwise it's $9.00 a month.

Trade Tools are free as well is Organize in a manner. Yeah, it's limited to 100 cards max, but you can still use it. For some, that's more than enough. For others, investing the time to put in thousands of cards, $20 a year is quite reasonable. And you can pay $20 instead of a monthly/yearly OPG and fully use Organize and the Trade Tools (obviously except for pricing).

The facebook analogy is kind of like apples and oranges. Facebook can apply to a very wide range of people (small businesses, personal profiles, fan pages, etc.). Beckett.com is for collectors, primarily of sports cards. The number of collectors is quite small compared to those on facebook. Also, those advertisements are for a wider variety of things, Beckett would mostly, but not exclusively, be advertising products for collecting. Rogaine, Schick, and other companies wouldn't see much profit from advertising on this site, but on facebook they would. Also, Beckett.com does not have third party software companies making apps/games for them and because of it only being the collecting world, they should keep the vision narrow. I wouldn't want site speed to hinder because someone came on here to play Farmville (lol). Those software companies that make games for facebook get royalties and other benefits.

I stated the main reasons why the site is suffering lower traffic on another thread, let alone the basketball boards. 1) Because there is a charge to use Organize and Trade Tools unlimited and that you HAVE to use the Organize and Trade Tools to trade or sell, you can't use lists. 2) Because prices went up. 3) They think us mods are dictators. However, if those same people know how much goes into the design, development, maintenance and upgrades/updates of the site, they'd understand the price increase and the need for at least a yearly charge to use Organize and the Trade Tools. As for us mods being dictators, I don't believe we are, we make sure people adhere to the TOS, and there is a lot less problems here because of it.
(07-12-2011, 09:51 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: [ -> ]i like your suggestions, but i dont think it will ever happen, this hobby we are in isnt a cheap hobby, and i know alot of people dont want to spend extra money on this site, but realistically if you just subscribe to pricing for one sport, its like 1 pack of cards a month, thats not to much to ask, imo.
Or, $20 a year for Organize, is less than $2 a month, less than one trade a month. Then the only thing you don't get is pricing, that's it. And a lot of people weren't using it before anyways. Smile
the reason why basketball forums arent as active is fairly simple:

basketball cards arent close in popularity to football and baseball

also, basketball cards are more popular in other countries, particularly asia, which have their own collecting websites in their own languages

still laughing at the 3 inch vertical!
I remember BEFORE the last layout for Beckett, basketball was insanely active. Then, I don't know why, they changed the layout to the previous one. Before that change officially happen I remember many people that were against the change. Now they've changed the layout again to this. I don't trade or sell and because they keep changing the layout makes me not want to post here. I know it's not that big a reason but that is my reason It's just discouraging.
PANINI! I still collect, but many are angry there is no more topps and UD
(07-13-2011, 07:34 AM)vgqv Wrote: [ -> ]I remember BEFORE the last layout for Beckett, basketball was insanely active. Then, I don't know why, they changed the layout to the previous one. Before that change officially happen I remember many people that were against the change. Now they've changed the layout again to this. I don't trade or sell and because they keep changing the layout makes me not want to post here. I know it's not that big a reason but that is my reason It's just discouraging.
but that would change it for all sports, not just basketball.

Mod Edit (XstreamINsanity): Removed what the other poster put and your comment, because their stuff doesn't belong here and I don't want people reading your comment not knowing what it went to. Smile

(07-13-2011, 07:34 AM)vgqv Wrote: [ -> ]I remember BEFORE the last layout for Beckett, basketball was insanely active. Then, I don't know why, they changed the layout to the previous one. Before that change officially happen I remember many people that were against the change. Now they've changed the layout again to this. I don't trade or sell and because they keep changing the layout makes me not want to post here. I know it's not that big a reason but that is my reason It's just discouraging.
The first layout change was due to management trying to sell the company. This new layout change was because of outdated hardware and going with better software and design. The first layout change was pushed out before it was fully ready, so instead of trying to fix a broken design, they went with the new layout. Now, while there are still bugs, it doesn't mean the design is broken, just incomplete. Smile